A cheat meal?

Options
Would one cheat meal a week (Dominos) effect my progress? Im on a 1,590 deficit and its hard but I wont do it if it will hslt my loss

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Nobody can know that without knowing how many calories you plan on consuming in that meal and how much that alters your deficit overall.

It is totally possible to lose weight while having a cheat meal if you're still in a deficit overall for the week.

It is also possible to cancel out your deficit in a single meal. It all comes down to total calorie consumption.

Are you on a 1,590 calorie per day deficit or do you mean you're eating 1,590 calories a day?
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    If the amount you eat puts you over your weekly defict then yes it can undo the defict you created during the week.

One way to stay in a defict and still enjoy pizza is to plan for it by "banking" some calories during the week so you have extra calories for your pizza night.
  • danparamore
    danparamore Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I’m on a 1,590 deficit so that’s generally what im eating daily, on a 2 pound loss a week plan
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I’m on a 1,590 deficit so that’s generally what im eating daily, on a 2 pound loss a week plan

So will you still eat pizza and stay within 1590 calories? Then no it doesn't undo anything and in fact may help you stick to your calorie goal by making it a sustainable diet. It's not what you eat but how much you eat.

If it puts you over your 1590 daily average and depending on how much over it could slow your weight loss or stop it.
  • janejellyroll
    edited January 2019
    Options

Your calorie goal is not the same thing as your calorie deficit.

If you told MFP you wanted to lose 2 pounds a week and it gave you a goal of 1,590, then your deficit is 1,000 calories a day (probably -- although it could be less if you don't weigh enough to lose 2 pounds a week safely).

With a deficit of 1,000 calories a day, it means that you would have to eat 7,000 calories over your daily goal in order to cancel out your deficit for the week. If you do that with your cheat meal it will cancel out your deficit and result in you not losing weight. If you eat less than that, you will still lose weight.

If you don't weigh enough to lose 2 pounds a week safely, then these numbers will be different. That's why it hard for us to tell how a cheat meal will impact you without knowing much about how much you plan to eat, what your deficit actually is, and how much you're losing while meeting that goal.
  • danparamore
    Options
    I could do that, but I wouldn’t be able to eat during the day. The pizza i get is high in calories. Its probably not worth it
  • danparamore
    edited January 2019
    Options

If you told MFP you wanted to lose 2 pounds a week and it gave you a goal of 1,590, then your deficit is 1,000 calories a day (probably -- although it could be less if you don't weigh enough to lose 2 pounds a week safely).

With a deficit of 1,000 calories a day, it means that you would have to eat 7,000 calories over your daily goal in order to cancel out your deficit for the week. If you do that with your cheat meal it will cancel out your deficit and result in you not losing weight. If you eat less than that, you will still lose weight.

If you don't weigh enough to lose 2 pounds a week safely, then these numbers will be different. That's why it hard for us to tell how a cheat meal will impact you without knowing much about how much you plan to eat, what your deficit actually is, and how much you're losing while meeting that goal.

Brilliant, thanks. Im 238 lbs, 24 year old male aiming to lose 56, so definitely weigh enough to lose 2 pounds a week healthily
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    one meal of pizza isn't going to hurt you - you may not see 2lbs loss than week (which is a deficit of 7000cal for the week) - but it won't hurt your progress

consider also going for a less steep deficit, so you can more easily fit in foods like pizza etc
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Brilliant, thanks. Im 238 lbs, 24 year old male aiming to lose 56, so definitely weigh enough to lose 2 pounds a week healthily

How are you determining that? 2 pounds a week is a very aggressive goal and I'm not sure you have enough extra weight for that. If you choose a more reasonable goal, you'll have a higher calorie goal each day. You may find you're able to eat more of the foods you enjoy regularly without having to have a "cheat day."
  • danparamore
    Options

How are you determining that? 2 pounds a week is a very aggressive goal and I'm not sure you have enough extra weight for that. If you choose a more reasonable goal, you'll have a higher calorie goal each day. You may find you're able to eat more of the foods you enjoy regularly without having to have a "cheat day."

I was considering it - but I really want to be near my goal in summer - otherwise I would change to lose 1.5 a week
  • brittlb07
    brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I told myself when I met my first goal I could go to this local Indian buffet I love. Yesterday was the day. I regret it now. Somehow I woke up the next morning 1.5 pounds heavier than the previous morning. I’m hoping it’s the extra water and sodium I had. We shall see. I’d much rather see the smaller scale number than have eaten that meal in hindsight.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Just skip the pizza for a few weeks and see how it goes. I promise you that Domino’s will still be available in February (and March).
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If you don't go crazy on toppings you can eat an entire thin crust medium pizza for 1300-1400 calories. If you eat it during a meal that you would normally have 600 calories you will probably still be in a small deficit for the day.

Each day at 1000 calorie deficit adds up to .28lbs lost. Even if you sacrificed 1 day worth of deficit a week you will still lose around 1.72lbs which is a little safer for you anyway.

It is generally considered a bad idea to call it a cheat meal though. Think of it as a treat meal or an allowance meal.

It is also a bad idea to set your loss goals for a specific time frame. Lose at a pace that is comfortable and be happy that by summer you will be less even if you are not at goal yet. People that try to go faster than they should are more likely to fail. It is better to have a sustainable plan and go slower than an aggressive one that fails and leaves you heavier than you like.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    brittlb07 wrote: »
    I told myself when I met my first goal I could go to this local Indian buffet I love. Yesterday was the day. I regret it now. Somehow I woke up the next morning 1.5 pounds heavier than the previous morning. I’m hoping it’s the extra water and sodium I had. We shall see. I’d much rather see the smaller scale number than have eaten that meal in hindsight.

I gain 2 pounds of primarily water weight in a 24 hour period all the time. It doesn't always even correspond to eating out or higher sodium foods. It is completely normal and temporary.

You can't be scared of eating out and enjoying yourself for fear of water weight gains because it will drive you crazy.

Read this:

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Domino's is so not worth it to me, but it is easy and a family tradition in some homes. Why not use their calorie calculator (https://www.dominos.com/en/pages/content/nutritional/cal-o-meter.jsp), plan ahead what you will eat and remain on target, then eat the plan.

I never eat out anymore without using online info to plan my meal before I walk into the restaurant. It is too much temptation and time pressure to do anything else. Planning weeks, planning meals, adapting plans to reality is working really well for me. The common thread is planning.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

Unlikely, since 1590 isn't a cut-off point -- it could be less if it were 1200 (female) or 1500 (male).