Maintaining my thighs and booty

Options
Hey guys!

Just now getting into working out again. I am 5’3” and I weigh 230. I carry most of my weight in my thighs and booty. Every time I work out I get discourage because i start losing in the areas I don’t want to loose in like my butt and thighs. It’s really my back, stomach, and arms I want to loose weight in. Can someone explain to me what I am doing wrong or what I should be doing? Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

Just now getting into working out again. I am 5’3” and I weigh 230. I carry most of my weight in my thighs and booty. Every time I work out I get discourage because i start losing in the areas I don’t want to loose in like my butt and thighs. It’s really my back, stomach, and arms I want to loose weight in. Can someone explain to me what I am doing wrong or what I should be doing? Thanks!

You're not doing anything wrong...you can't pick and choose where your fat comes off of first or last...you can't spot reduce specific areas and preserve others.
  • GainzWitHan
    GainzWitHan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :)
  • elothen
    elothen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yeah I can appreciate your frustration. When I started losing what I wanted most was to lose my belly. I thought I had a decent chest, arms, "lower" half... at 70lbs down I discovered I had almost zero muscle, no trunk at all... and still had a belly! So frustrating!

It sounds though like you've got a "favorable" body shape to start with. To try and keep that lower half how you like it squats are going to be your best friend! I can all but guarantee that if you stay disciplined about the nutrition and lifting that you'll be very happy with the results!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, you cannot spot reduce fat. However you can help maintain muscle in those areas with proper training and adequate protein in a deficit. I would recommend following a lifting program, something with focus on the lower body like Strong Curves might be a good fit.
  • preciousleks
    preciousleks Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce as you can't spot gain.
    I have a pear body shape, so when I wanted to gain some weight I thought it will go to my booty only but when I started to gain weight some weight went to my stomach.
    That is just genetics
    You are not doing anything wrong.
    You can loose weight proportionaly. Genes