How many calories should I be eating when I'm doing insanity

Options
MFP of course sets me to 1200 calories a day, I'm 8 days into insanity max 30, how many calories a day should I be eating? I only want to lose about 5 pounds by the end of the 60 days. I'm mostly wanting to see results in my strength and toning. Anyone else have experience with this workout? What was your diet and results like?
Thanks!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Why "of course" is your goal 1,200 a day? That's the absolute lowest MFP will set a woman, so I'm guessing you entered 2 pounds a week as your goal.

What is your current weight? MFP's goal is given with the intention that you will log your exercise and add those calories to your day, so you'll want to find a database entry to log your exercise and see how many calories you're burning while exercising.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    MFP of course sets me to 1200 calories a day, I'm 8 days into insanity max 30, how many calories a day should I be eating? I only want to lose about 5 pounds by the end of the 60 days. I'm mostly wanting to see results in my strength and toning. Anyone else have experience with this workout? What was your diet and results like?
    Thanks!

MFP probably set you at 1200 cals because you said you wanted to lose at an aggressive pace. With only 5 lbs to lose, set yourself to lose 0.5lbs per week, and make sure the activity level you chose is accurate. Then when you do a workout, log that exercise and eat back at least some of those calories.
  • Fitmommy0911
    Fitmommy0911 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll @kimny72 @quiksylver296

Thanks ladies I'll have to check what all my settings are :) I've already lost over 80 pounds with MFP over the last few years but since I'm not really looking to lose weight anymore I'm kinda lost now that I'm used to low calories, lose weight mind set lol ugh that's silly sounding I know but I really struggle with the right amount of calories now.
    Thanks again!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Thanks ladies I'll have to check what all my settings are :) I've already lost over 80 pounds with MFP over the last few years but since I'm not really looking to lose weight anymore I'm kinda lost now that I'm used to low calories, lose weight mind set lol ugh that's silly sounding I know but I really struggle with the right amount of calories now.
    Thanks again!

Set MFP to lose 0.5lb per week
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Thanks again!

Sometimes when I got stuck, I needed to go back to the basics, as it's so easy to get a little lax with the good habits you set up for yourself. Check out these threads (or reread them if you've seen them before), they always give me a little lightbulb moment :lol:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • Fitmommy0911
    Fitmommy0911 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @kimny72 thank you! Very helpful threads! I got a couple pages in, I have to cook dinner for the family but I'll definitely be going back and reading more!