Do I log cals burned at work

Options
Do I log cals burned at work or are they included in the ( how active are you ) section .

Replies

• amanning2010
    amanning2010 Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I have always wondered how much I burn at work with all my walking. I decided to just get a fitness watch that counts calories and steps for me. I got a Garmin watch and it links up with My Fitness Pal directly which is helpful. And I think it might count for some calories burned when you choose how active you are. But like I said, a watch or step/calorie counter is more accurate specially if you have a more or less active day
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    Works is what usually determines your activity level. If you spend most of the day sitting at a desk, then you are sedentary. If you do some walking and standing, then lightly active. If you do hard physical labor, then very active. Deliberate exercise is logged separately i.e . gym, walking, running, swimming, etc.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Without a fitness tracker or app that is synced to MFP, you don't want to add work activity as exercise. You risk "double counting" some activity.

A tracker works differently. Syncing allows you to compare stated activity against actual activity. There is also a setting that allows for a negative calorie adjustment for days if/when you don't actually meet your stated activity level.

Just stick with logging deliberate exercise for a time. Be aware that calorie burn estimates are generous for some activities. After several weeks, if you find you are losing faster than expected....eat more. If weight loss is slower than expected.....eat less.
  • Rachaelannahx333
    Rachaelannahx333 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you this was helpful !
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Do I log cals burned at work or are they included in the ( how active are you ) section .

The descriptors for activity level specifically address your work/occupation...if you've accurately determined your activity level then yeah...they are included.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    While agreeing with all of the above, If probably log some exercise if my usually very sedentary job had a super active unusual day for some reason, like walking all day at a special event or moving offices locations with lots of walking, lifting, and carrying.

Normal work should be in activity level, though, averaged over a week if you routinely have (say) 3 sedentary days and 2 active ones each week.