Theragun

Has anyone had any positive on negative experiences with the theragun? I'm a distance runner and looking into buying one but they are really expensive. Just wondering if it is worth the $500.00 price tag?

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    I’ve tried one and it was great. But, and it’s a big “but” given the price, you could do pressure point release with a ball or spiky massager for a lot less. If you have the money, go for it.

I have also seen people make their own with a hammer drill and tennis ball... probably not a good idea! 🤣
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2019
    I’ve tried one and it was great. But, and it’s a big “but” given the price, you could do pressure point release with a ball or spiky massager for a lot less. If you have the money, go for it.

I have also seen people make their own with a hammer drill and tennis ball... probably not a good idea! 🤣

Many were Mechanical Engineers that figured out that all this thing is is basically a Reciprocating Saw with a Lacrosse ball on a tip. There's actually a company now that sells a Worx Reciprocating Saw with the premade ball but it's like $299. You can DIY one for around $115. I personally wouldn't think any more dangerous than the original.

A gentler/cheaper alternative is the PureWave Massager. It's also a precussion massager and it's amazing. I have the one with the face attachment and never use that part but the ball thing on the end (it's same concept as the Theragun but not as hard/fast). Bought it for my wife who has Fibromyalgia to release knots and my kids all liked it so much that I got one of them it for X-mas this year. Best massager I've ever owned by far.

As far as does the Theragun work? My son is a member of one of the top BJJ (Brazilian Jui Jitsu) gyms in the US. He said after practice a lot of their members line up and use these things on each other to workout the pain/knots. He loves them but they are all using the DIY version of them.
  • cforsyth617
    cforsyth617 Posts: 205 Member
    thanks for the replies, I will lookup the Purewave massager.