A Non-Runner needs Advice about Running:

Silent_Soliloquy
Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
edited January 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Background on me, i'm 5' 8", 155 lbs, healthy. 35 year old Male. Resting heart rate is 55-60.

My sport is boxing (i box at 144.5 lbs), and do zero "running training" but i do 2 miles on the treadmill to warm up every session (3 or 4 times a week). sometimes i do 3 miles (24 minutes) which doesn't seem too difficult.

A friend asked me to do a 15K with her at the end of march. if i start training now; is that even possible?

Is there a set routine i should try? Should i do Couch to 10K, and just start on week 6 or so ? Is the goal so lofty i should just say "no thanks, maybe this summer" ... or is there a chance at making it? My friend is aiming for 10 minute miles, the cutoff time is 15 min.

Should i try later today to see how far i can run just to set a baseline?

Thank you anyone for helping me out. i hope i can give it back to you all somehow,

Replies

• WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    I'm doing a 15k at the end of March as well and am following the novice Hal Higdon training plan. It's 10 weeks, so I'm starting this week. If you can easily run 3 miles in 24 minutes now and are already running 2 miles 3-4x per week, you're honestly in the ideal place to start training.

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/15k-10-mile-training/novice-15k-10-mile/
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    If the cut off time is 15 minutes per mile and you are already doing 2-3 miles on a treadmill multiple times a week, you should be able to do it. I wouldn't be able to do 10 minute miles but if you are currently doing 3 miles at an 8 minute pace you might be able to do it. I second the Hal Higdon program. I'd also recommend that you get out on the roads as soon as you can though. Running on a treadmill is much different than running out on the roads. You might find that your road pace is slower and harder.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Honestly, given your current conditioning you could probably run 15K tomorrow.

In general though, a couch to 10K program would be helpful to help you build miles in a gradual and safe way at the very least. Figure you have about 7 weeks to prep. You could also just start adding one longer run to your routine over the next week (either add a run or replace one of your current runs). Do 4 miles this week, 5 miles the week after, then 6, 7, and 8. Do one more 6 or 7 miler and then have a light week as a taper right before the event.

Take it slow and easy. Given that running isn't your primary sport, one of your goals should be to do this in a way that minimizes any risk of injury. And get outside asap so you can get used to running off the treadmill.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Easily. You are already active and do run (unless you’re walking those 2-3 miles? But even then that’s a good start). Find a plan (I use Hal Hidgon and I know he has a 15K training plan) and follow it.

15 minutes miles are a brisk walk so I wouldn’t be worried about the cut off time. Even if your walk/run it you would most likely still finish within the time limit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    The only thing I would add is to get off the treadmill and outside asap!
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
    Thank you all so much for the supportive words. I am doing the 2 and 3 mile warmups with no walking, but my body is much more trained for 2 and 3 minute energy bursts, not two hour endurance type stuff.

I'll be evaluate the Hal Hidgon plan yet today... i'll shift what day i do the items, but keep the order the same.

I'd love to get some outside time, but it's way way below freezing and everything is a sheet of ice. i'll hope for the weather to break. i do keep my treadmill at 4 or 6 incline to try and simulate the road a little better.

Thanks again, the community here has helped me so many times, and never disappoints.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    If you want to do it and don’t mind if you need to do some run-walk intervals, you should be fine.
  • jaimydude
    jaimydude Posts: 103 Member
    edited January 2019
    I did the Hot Chocolate Run 15k in San Francisco 2 weeks ago. In the couple of months before it, I was nursing a bad knee and was only able to run 2miles max each run. The most I'd ever run in my life was - once - 8 miles in training for this run.
    I went out there and ran thinking if I could run 4 miles, I'd walk the rest. I ended up running almost 99% of it - Albeit at a 12 min mile pace. I ran the distance I had never ever run before, on the day of the event.

Practice a few runs working hard at slowing down (harder than you think) and working up to 4 - 5 miles. Run miles, not minutes. Also, run outside on the pavement. It's very different from the treadmill.

The adrenaline and the crowd will just push you, just keep reigning yourself in and pace yourself for a long run. You'll be fine.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    I'll agree with above. You could probably run a 15k today if you wanted. A 10 minute mile should be pretty easy for you to hit. Throw in a slower 4.5 mile and 7 mile during the week and you're good, just make sure you've got a good pair of running shoes.

I just finished a half marathon plan and it was pretty much a mid distance (4.5) run Tu/Th, short (3) We/Sat, long (10) Sun, and M/F rest days.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    @silent_soliloquy Good for you! Keep us up to date on your progress. The incline will help you but there are other differences. A treadmill provides the momentum for you - all you have to do is keep up. Running on the road requires you to provide all of the momentum and forward motion plus there are rocks, cracks, uneven running surfaces, and other obstacles. Get outside as soon as you can. Dress for weather that is 20 degrees warmer than it really is outside to stay warm without overheating.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    Thank you all so much for the supportive words. I am doing the 2 and 3 mile warmups with no walking, but my body is much more trained for 2 and 3 minute energy bursts, not two hour endurance type stuff.

I'll be evaluate the Hal Hidgon plan yet today... i'll shift what day i do the items, but keep the order the same.

I'd love to get some outside time, but it's way way below freezing and everything is a sheet of ice. i'll hope for the weather to break. i do keep my treadmill at 4 or 6 incline to try and simulate the road a little better.

Thanks again, the community here has helped me so many times, and never disappoints.

Unless your race is going to be really hilly, don't maintain a 4-6 incline. That's a good way to injure your knees. 1% is sufficient.