does anyone feel like i do?

Options
i feel sometimes that when other people are eating i should be too. even when i'm not hungry...

Replies

• RhondaLeeRoss
    Options
    Just ask yourself.....if they were to jump off of a bridge would you follow????? Think of it that way :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Yep. It's a social thing. If it's mealtime, I eat. If it's not, I have something to drink, even if it's just water.
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do... but that's when I reach for a glass of water (something to do with my hands as well as something that MAY fill me up, satisfy hunger/craving). It doesnt always work, but sometimes it does.

Good luck x
  • gofffam
    gofffam Posts: 1
    Options
    I do! ANd then I am so miserable!!! When my husband' family gets together, this is what they do and it is hard to not eat!! hang in there!
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I dont have a problem watching people eat. If im not hungry i dont even touch food.
  • midnight8
    Options
    I felt the same way, but then u realized meals are about fellowship :) hope it helps
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Just ask yourself.....if they were to jump off of a bridge would you follow????? Think of it that way :)

That depends on how many people have already jumped...might just be a short hop and landing on a big pig pile of people haha.

Sorry, completely not constructive at all, couldn't help myself.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Yeah, and like other habits, it can be overcome. What makes it difficult is when people refuse to back off when you don't eat and make, usually wrong, assumptions or start with the "Oh yeah, you're on a DIET" type comments. Stay strong!
  • Cami33463
    Options
    I feel that way often. I work in an office setting where food can, and has, been the "water-hole" in a desert of lifeless cubicles. Then you get to this food, glorious food and everyone is talking and happy, no one is at odds with anyone and for a moment there is peace! Then I realize, I've added 400 calories to my day that I didn't need! My sugestion: have a cup of water or coffee and stick around still to socialize.
  • squeak1989
    Options
    I guess so. I often find myself ordering the same number of courses as other people at a restaurant or eating at a party/ while watching at a movie just because everyone else it. But it's more out of social awkwardness than anything else, just needing something to do with my hands to seem like I'm busy or feeling strange because I'm just sat there at a restaurant watching everyone else eat.
  • jenwarship
    jenwarship Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yeah, and like other habits, it can be overcome. What makes it difficult is when people refuse to back off when you don't eat and make, usually wrong, assumptions or start with the "Oh yeah, you're on a DIET" type comments. Stay strong!

The diet comments are the worst! 1) none of your business 2) NOT HELPING!

I also have a hard time not eating when other people do. Trying to keep my hands busy as others have said works ok for me. Or chewing gum.
  • Rav3nw0lf
    Options
    I know I find it hard when others are eating and I'm not. In the past I've brought something I know I can eat to share and that seems to help. Also like others have said, just having something in your hands can sometimes help. If it's not a sit down thing, get up and walk around to mingle. It's not as self conscious a thing to not eat if you aren't standing in front of the same people for hours on end while they eat. A lot of people also seem to respect a pleasant smile and simple "no thanks, I'm not hungry right now" Good luck and just remember you can be strong and you are doing this for YOU! not them. Good luck!
  • maximkat
    maximkat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm actually the person eating when other people aren't because i eat a lot of small meals throughout the day instead of the typical 3 squares a day. Perhaps that may work for you, cut your calories per meal down and increase the amount of meals. Plus the chances of you ever being hungry during the day would be slim to none with this type of diet. I find that I can't eat nearly the same amount of food in one sitting as I used to, which is a good thing. Good luck.
  • sandislim
    sandislim Posts: 264
    Options
    I can't stand it when people eat in front of me! If I have a drink and we're talking then thats fine. If they are a cute child then I'm ok with that too. Otherwise beware, because I end up complaining at plate scraping, lip smacking, chewing open-mouthed, crumb droppage and everything. I just have to walk away.

I did think that I got angry because I was hungry, but even when I'm not hungry I still get annoyed.
  • oceanlvr9495
    Options
    LOL thanks Brannock8 !!! it was funny!!

and thanks to everyone else for their input!!! it has definitely helped!!!!!
  • StellaBby10
    Options

That depends on how many people have already jumped...might just be a short hop and landing on a big pig pile of people haha.

Sorry, completely not constructive at all, couldn't help myself.

LMAO!!! I'm so going to start saying that when people ask me that question now!! Lol

And it's all a mental thing...I ALWAYS say... IF YOU INDULGE, YOU BULDGE!! Hehehe
  • 2pinks1blue
    Options
    It's not that bad for me with friends or in public, but if SO is eating when we're at home (he doesn't eat very healthy!) I'm always tempted!
  • CoxTX
    CoxTX Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It's not that bad for me with friends or in public, but if SO is eating when we're at home (he doesn't eat very healthy!) I'm always tempted!

My SO is notorious for making comments like 'We should have some popcorn!' or 'Do we have any cookies to bake? We should have some cookies.' In the beginning I took it to mean 'Wow, you look hungry and like you might want/deserve a treat' when in reality what he's saying is 'I'm hungry and I would like a snack but I would like you to get up and make it for me.'

Let's just say I'm a little slow on the uptake cuz it took me a year and a half and 10 lbs to figure out what he was really saying. ;)
  • Glamgoddessinblack
    Options
    All the time! Specially since my sisters eat alot, I guess it makes me feel normal, even though I know I'm gonna feel horrible
    Afterwards...