Runners knee help!

Options
’ve been jogging every day for the last couple of weeks, and didn’t have an issue until this Monday, when I started to jog I got a really uncomfortable pain under and around my left knee cap, I tried to jog through it but it got more painful, i looked it up and it seems to be runners knee. Anyone have any experience with this? What could I do to help with pain relief? Will I ever be able to jog again without the discomfort??

Replies

• kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I started having this years ago when I was in the military and can still have issues with it now if I'm not careful. I have a tight IT band which cause my runner's knee. So I try to stretch that after every run as well as roll the outside of my thigh from my knee to my hip with a foam roller after every run which helps. If it's acting up, rest and stretching are the best things I've found. If the pain starts while I'm running I'll stop running and maybe take the next day off.
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yep. Over use injury. Pretty common.

Don't run until you are pain free. Walk pain free before you run. If you are a new runner, consider 10 mins of dynamic warm ups BEFORE running. Knees cant be stretched but muscles, tendon, cartilege can be warmed up and lubricated. 5 min pre walk will also warm up your core.

There are some useful video on foam rolling for runners knee if that is really what you have.
  • AvinashDB
    AvinashDB Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue with my right knee. I’m over weight (252lbs) and I ran 3-4 times a week at 2 miles on average and had to stop. I gave it a rest for one month and 15 seconds into my run it happened again. I ended up joining a gym now and forced to walk on the treadmill now at a fast walk pace to get my cardio now so would love to run again but not sure what to do as well. I will be seeing my doctor on Friday who is a fitness geek so maybe he’ll be able to give me some information that may help us both out!
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    1. Cut down on mileage
    2. Strength train your lower body. Single leg squats and deadlifts to build stability around the knees
    3. Get yourself some KT tape ASAP and use it when you run or weight train
    4. Check your shoes. Get it fitted professionally at a run store.
    5. Always listen to your body.

Don’t fret! It won’t stay with you forever as long as you put in the effort!
  • jryepin93
    jryepin93 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem a few months ago. I wasn't able to run for about 9 weeks because of my stubbornness and unwillingness to rest. Rest now and find good shoes. Taking rest days between runs is a lot better than not being able to run for weeks!