How heavy should the breakfast be?

Options
Hi, I am not too sure about what the breakfast calories intake shoud be. At the moment i have a daily limit of ~1400 and about 500 - 600 of those i have them in the morning, then about the same for lunch ans i am left with next to nothing for evening.

Am i eating too much in the morning???

Of course i excercise and burn at least 500 calories a day (4 days a week).

What's the best way to manage the calories intake for the day.

Cheers,
Alina

Replies

• Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    on the days you burn 500 cal extra you actually have 1900 calories to eat so no have 500-600 calories for breakfast and lunch on those days is great. Maybe on the other days just eat a smaller portion size for breakfast and lunch so you have about 300-400 cal for dinner. Dinner should be your smallest meal anyway; mostly protein not a lot of carb, fruit and veggies. Also make sure your drinking a lot of water that helps with the boredom hunger.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. Don't overthink it. :) As long as your daily net averages out to goal, you're good. :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I suggest planning your meals for the day ahead of time so you can see how much is left for dinner. If there's none left, then you need to rethink dinner and lunch!
    Currently my daily allowance is just under 1600.
    Typically I would have about 300 cal for breakfast, 4 or 500 for lunch, 5 or 600 for dinner. Depending on how much exercise I do in the day that leaves 300 - 500. Once my meals are planned I add some snacks to my day or add extras to my meals (like adding fruit to lunch, avocado or wine to dinner etc).
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. Don't overthink it. :) As long as your daily net averages out to goal, you're good. :)

I agree..overthinking this whole thing can just do your head in and distract you!

All the best...
  • opreali
    opreali Posts: 11
    Options
    Most of the days I am below my calories/fat/sugar/carbs goals and i was wodering if i should balance my meals differently. I definately stay away (as much as i can) from carbs and sugars in the evenings.

Thanks a lot to all of you for the tips.
  • MyNewLeaf
    Options
    You could follow the Ayurvedic way of thinking when planning your meals:

eat breakfast like a queen
    eat lunch like a king
    eat dinner like a pauper

So what you're doing is probably pretty good, except I notice that your calories are way too low for your exercise days.
    If you have minimal cals leftover at dinner, are you feeling okay? if you're feeling famiished or running out of energy because of little food, you need to rethink it. Otherwise, go with what you're doing, so long as you still feel alright throughout the day.
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I also eat more calories in the morning. I have no problem haviing a 300 cal dinner, because for me the function of dinner is just to kill any hunger pangs before going to bed. Its during the day I need my energy!
  • katie7127511
    Options
    My calories are at around 1700-1800. I eat about 400-500 calories for breakfast. It's the most important meal of the day in that it starts you off either energized or sluggish.
    For example, this Am I had 8oz of Silk Milk(about 80cals), 1 large peach, and 2 scoops protein powder mixed to make a shake.

I would plan some things out so that you know in general what amount of calories you need to eat for each meal, but I don't think it's a big deal to have a bigger breakfast--Ive also heard that your higher cals do need to be in morning/lunch due to your body being able to break them down throughout the day more.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    . I definately stay away (as much as i can) from carbs and sugars in the evenings.

You are over thinking this stuff. If you have no calories left in the evenings and you want calories then, skip breakfast. If you want sugar and carbs in the evening, eat them. This is a life journey not a sprint. Do what you can maintain forever and you will be successful.
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options

I would plan some things out so that you know in general what amount of calories you need to eat for each meal, but I don't think it's a big deal to have a bigger breakfast--Ive also heard that your higher cals do need to be in morning/lunch due to your body being able to break them down throughout the day more.

Not exactly. Its calories overall that count. Your body will burn them sleeping too. But I'm with you on eating them earlier, simply because I prefer to feel full and satisfied while awake rather than wasting that feeling while I'm unconscious!
  • rockersbaby1
    rockersbaby1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Do NOT skip breakfast :-/