Is It Ok To Just "Snack" For Dinner?

Options
I usually take the time to make a healthy meal for my husband and myself each night. However, he's away on business and I just dont feel like cooking a whole meal just for myself. On top of that, I have girlfriends coming over to watch movies tonight and I was thinking of just snacking on my favorite Saya Snow Pea Crisps (375 per bag) and I've set aside enough calories so that I can have 1 dark chocolate brownie and a glass of skim milk.

I wont be going over any of my goals for the day, but I was just wondering if this is an ok thing to do once in a while?

Replies

• lanettecream
    Options
    My understanding is that it is total overall calories that matter, not when you eat them. Maybe have a bigger lunch?
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I do that all of the time...
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    You know, this is probably a personal choice but for me, I don't really see a problem. There are days that I'll have a big enough lunch, and/or its late enough in teh day, that I'll just snack for dinner and not make a meal. It hink teh key is to still watch your portions, salt and calorie intake.
  • jolteon00
    Options
    As long as your diet is balanced, you can "just snack" all day! Enjoy your night :)
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I never eat dinner. I just snack. I have a heavy lunch and good breakfast but snack on peanuts or fruit for the evening. I'm doing ok.
  • GingerDarlene
    Options
    I would say it would be just fine; enjoy it!!! It's a break from the norm, plus you will not go over your calories; I wouldnt do it all the time.
  • xxcatyxx555
    Options
    no honey, you need to have a vegetable, protein, and a carb, i just took classes with nutritionists and you need to do that, now if you can get all of these with snack-like items, go for it, but you need these three things. hope that helps! have fun!
  • evanryn
    evanryn Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I sometimes don't feel like eating a huge meal at night either, especially in this heat, so I do something small too. I wouldn't worry about. If it is only you and you have a game plan to not go over calories, don't worry! Have fun though :D

~e
  • Zen_Master_B
    Options
    I am a firm believer that it isn't when you eat but what you eat. I would say as long as you know what you're eating and how much, as long as you don't go over its all good. Watching anything good?
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Snack away as long as you got the calories, enjoy!!!
  • MandaLen13
    MandaLen13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks Everybody! Definitely wont make a habit out of it, but I did have a decent sized healthy lunch so I feel fine just snacking tonight.

Truly appreciate everybody's input! :)
  • MandaLen13
    Options
    I am a firm believer that it isn't when you eat but what you eat. I would say as long as you know what you're eating and how much, as long as you don't go over its all good. Watching anything good?

Depends on what you consider good. Were all without our husbands tonight so its gonna be chick flicks all the way!!! :)
  • everyoung
    everyoung Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    of course, only the total number of calories matters; as long as you stay within your daily number, why not. enjoy!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that it is total overall calories that matter, not when you eat them. Maybe have a bigger lunch?

that's not exactly true - I was trying to find a forum post to link for you here but I can't find it just now - it was one about people being confused about eating back their exercise calories

essentially though, it explained that your body doesn't store food in it's pre-digested state if you for example, ate all your calories for the day in one sitting, but converts it into adipose tissue, losing some of it's nutritional value

besides that though, it's a rare occurrance, wont hurt once in a while, and the OP wasn't talking about eating one massive meal, just having her evening cals in the form of snacks instead of a "meal" - it's important to note that not all calories are equal though, so maybe try and snack on something healthy?
  • kamula
    kamula Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Uh...I just had a bag of lays for breakfast (i was in an govt. office and took longer than i thought) for lunch i had 1/2 a piece brown bread1 small boiled potato and 2 small pieces of grilled chicken. For dinner i will have salmon and vegetables and still be at a little below 1200. I will be having only teas in between to compensate for that evil bag of lays !!!!
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Eat the brownie! Its not like u do this every night! U made me want a brownie now....
  • justineknight
    justineknight Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It won't ruin all of your efforts to get a bit off track one evening, especially if you control yourself and keep everything in moderation. I would suggest that your snacks and lunch that day be very high protein and veggies since you will only have carbs for dinner. Generally, you want to eat lean protein, whole grain carbs and unsaturated fats at each meal to keep your blood sugar from spiking and dropping.
  • MandaLen13
    Options
    Eat the brownie! Its not like u do this every night! U made me want a brownie now....

Ghiradelli dark chocolate brownies are my FAV!!!! Only 210 cal for one brownie and I assume they're at least a little bit healthier because of the dark chocolate. When I have them I usually try not to snack as much during the day so I can save up for the brownie. If you can get them where you are I'd highly recommend trying them!!!
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Go for it girl!! I do this sometimes if I am going to the cinema after work with the girls... just have a decent lunch and as long as you stick in the cals then why not!!

Have a great time. x