The best socks you’ve ever owned

Options
What are they? Need new socks that stay in place, hold up longer than 2 months and don’t make my feet sweat. TIA!

Replies

• JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    DeFeet International. They started with making cycling socks but now make socks for running, hiking, skiing/snowboarding and more. Variety of materials including Merino wools. All made in the USA too.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Another vote for merino wool!
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    For running in spring/summer/fall I like my feetures. In winter I wear merino SmartWool socks.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    For running in spring/summer/fall I like my feetures. In winter I wear merino SmartWool socks.

That was the brand I couldn't think of!
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I like Belgae socks for running. I tried feetures and they were too thin. For sleeping I like big fuzzy ones 🙂
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I big puffy heart Balega Hidden Comfort for running. They're basically slip ons, and don't go much higher than my shoes, and are super super comfortable.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Different people will like different socks... so this is another one of those threads where recommendation may or may not be relevant to you.

For hiking and similar - Ibex, crew, midweight
    For running - Smartwool or Swiftwick, ultralight/thin
    For cycling - Smartwool or Swiftwick, light weight

In all cases, I prefer wool, polyester, or a wool/poly/stretchy blend. No cotton. Ever. Never.
  • Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I hike in the mountains a lot and my preferred brand of sock is Darn Tough. Their merino wool construction is superb and they also have a lifetime guarantee!
    They also make merino leisure socks and running socks.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,913 Member
    Options
    For being able to keep my thermostat at 65 degrees in the winter I use any cotton socks (currently Gold Toe), any wool socks (currently Maggie's organic - pesticided wool can be problematic for me), and Sorel Men's Manawan Slipper:

https://smile.amazon.com/Sorel-Mens-Manawan-NM1466-Slipper/dp/B001OTYZ2U

81%2BQPhVJ7AL._UX500_.jpg
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Yak wool from Mongolia. From Amazon.
  • Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Not the most helpful for you but the best socks I've ever owned I made myself. I used to think people who knit their own socks were a little weird, but I figured I should at least try it before I dismissed it and I found there's nothing quite like socks that ACTUALLY fit. I find it so annoying that manufacturers make socks to fit sizes 4-8. Something that will comfortably fit a size 4 foot (22.5") with negative ease will NOT also comfortably fit a size 8 (25.9cm). I'm fed up with sock heels on the soles of my feet.

I also vote for anything merino, it's great for being warm but breathable.

I don't make my own running socks though. My favourite running socks are Hillysocks. Their ranges are more reasonable; a medium is sizes 6-8.5 (UK sizes).
  • shaneozouf
    shaneozouf Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Best socks I've ever owned is Polo Ralph Lauren black dress socks, they are light, long, and seamless. They don't slip or slide either.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I take a UK 4 and sometimes find it hard to find socks that fit well for reasons Nativestar56 has already explained.

I love Bridgedale “Trekker” socks for hiking, and SmartWool merino socks for skiing. Otherwise for day-to-day wear it’s Marks and Spencer or (if cold) Decathlon’s “Quechua” brand.
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    ach_75 wrote: »
    I hike in the mountains a lot and my preferred brand of sock is Darn Tough. Their merino wool construction is superb and they also have a lifetime guarantee!
    They also make merino leisure socks and running socks.

I think these are the ones my daughter wears for hiking and mountain climbing in Wales ....they are made in USA and have a lifetime guarantee. They are so lovely to wear. She says she could have put down a deposit on a house with the amount of money she's spent on these socks [she and DH have an Expedition Business in Wales].
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    What about for those of us who are allergic to wool.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    ffdfpaf152wp.png
    74% Exclusive THOR•LON® Acrylic , 4% Elastic , 20% Nylon , 2% Polyester

Acrylic running socks...no issues with blistering whatsoever
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I used to buy socks by mail order, a monthly subscription type thing. Silkies, I think, was the name brand? Anyway, some of those socks lasted for 15 years. They've long since gone out of business, I believe.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,899 Member
    Options
    Merino, cashmere and/or angora socks.

I used to be able to get cashmere and/or angora socks relatively inexpensively in Canada, but they're less available in Australia.

After some hunting here, I've discovered that these are pretty good:
    https://www.macpac.com.au/womens/footwear/socks/merino-footprint-socks/113319.html?cgid=womens-footwear-socks#srule=Sort+By+Price+Asc&sz=12&start=1
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I literally just buy socks. Generally fun patterned ones that make me happy.

Basically I just check they're reasonably cotton rich, but that's it...