Need a way to track sugar alcohols

Options
When I look at entries in the food database, they show sugar alcohols with a dash. I don't see anyway to edit existing entries to count the sugar alcohols and when I look at the Nutrition summary for each day, sugar alcohols are not listed. Please add this feature consistently throughout the application so it can be tracked.

Replies

• Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 192 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    What is a sugar alcohol? (Honest question. I’ve never heard of this)

Also, this forum is just community members. If you want to communicate with MFP itself you would need to email them.
  • DarianJP
    DarianJP Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Sugar alcohols are in sugar free/low sugar foods like gum, protein bars, drinks etc. Some people have a negative reaction to them and can experience constipation and cramps but if it’s eatin in a high amount it will do that regardless. Unfortunately there’s no way of tracking sugar alcohols on MFP, it would be a little difficult to 100% track your intake anyway because some products don’t give a specified amount to how much sugar alcohols they put in. You could always keep a track of it yourself or there may be an app out there that could do it. Good luck!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Sugar alcohols for me are counted as straight carbs, even though they actually have 2 cals a gram vs 4.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Sugar alcohols for me are counted as straight carbs, even though they actually have 2 cals a gram vs 4.

Yeah, they just show as carbs (well, unless the person creating the entry did something else). I'd personally include them as carbs, as they are on labels, I believe, since I don't see a need to count sugar alcohols. On the whole, I wouldn't think someone would be eating so many that the slight difference in calories would matter.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,613 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Yeah, they just show as carbs (well, unless the person creating the entry did something else). I'd personally include them as carbs, as they are on labels, I believe, since I don't see a need to count sugar alcohols. On the whole, I wouldn't think someone would be eating so many that the slight difference in calories would matter.

There are *cough* other reasons to track sugar alcohols. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Oh, never fear. As soon as you eat too much, your body will certainly alert you . . . >:)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Oh, never fear. As soon as you eat too much, your body will certainly alert you . . . >:)

Exactly! ;-)

Yes -- if you have trouble with them, I'd assume you would know, and learn to avoid them, or foods with lots of them. Otherwise, that was covered in my "I wouldn't think someone would be eating so many..."