Keto

Options
Anyone on the Keto Diet? I started 2 weeks ago and have lost 8 lbs. I don’t think I’m in ketosis yet because I tested my urine and the color didn’t really change. I don’t miss carbs too much but I’m hoping to get into ketosis soon. How long did it take you to get into ketosis?

Replies

• jakobloveless
    jakobloveless Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I am also eating under similar macro guidelines as Keto (albeit plant-based) and I was in ketosis within a few days, but that said, I don’t really eat starchy carbs often anyway and I prepped with a 48hr water-fast and light full body training during the fast, so that undoubtedly helped to deplete my liver & muscle glycogen before I started my diet plan!

Good luck :smile:
  • BadApple2014
    BadApple2014 Posts: 23 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I recently started last week and am down 8lbs too. That probably has more to do with dropping the sodas. I don’t think my body is in ketosis yet either. I haven’t experienced the Keto flu yet, only the migraines I get when I detox off of sodas. Here’s hoping I get there soon.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I recently started last week and am down 8lbs too. That probably has more to do with dropping the sodas. I don’t think my body is in ketosis yet either. I haven’t experienced the Keto flu yet, only the migraines I get when I detox off of sodas. Here’s hoping I get there soon.

Have you considered switched to diet soda, instead? Or is that what you were drinking already?
  • BadApple2014
    BadApple2014 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Have you considered switched to diet soda, instead? Or is that what you were drinking already?

No, I was drinking the regular ones. Pepsi was my addiction followed by Cherry Coke and I just gave them up. So it was hard last week cause I felt the migraine all week.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options

No, I was drinking the regular ones. Pepsi was my addiction followed by Cherry Coke and I just gave them up. So it was hard last week cause I felt the migraine all week.

Diet soda is calorie and carb free.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

That was probably caffeine withdrawal. If you go back to drinking pepsi or coke later and want to stop again you might do it more gradually to avoid the headaches :)
  • leiflung
    leiflung Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    @MissChrissyLaLa Took a few days. Keto can be trickier than you may realize. There's carbs in stuff you wouldn't imagine. As an example, a lot of beef jerky is loaded with sugar. If you struggle to get into ketosis, it may help to look closer at your diet.

@BadApple2014 I didn't get keto flu. Not everybody does.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Keto flu is actually a completely preventable electrolyte imbalance. If you supplement with salt, you can skip it entirely.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Most are in ketosis within a couple of days. If you have any cir change on a keto urine stick, then you are in ketosis.

Think of it like a pregnancy test. Positive is positive. A darker result does not mean much for those eating ketogenic.