Need to go Gluten-free and Dairy-free

Options
Hi....
So since starting my healthy lifestyle last year I been able to keep a fit body but I have not been able to keep my acne under control (sorry if its gross)
but its a big problem Ive had for almost 15 years! I blamed hormones but now im blaming food, especially good for you food like eggs, milk, oatmeal, wheat anything, and dark chocolate.

ive tried organic milk, vegetarian fed eggs, cage free, the chickens eggs from my mother in laws house and still break out.
I have no option to get tested right now for food allergies so I need help from you lovely people to give me ideas on products that are wheat, gluten, dairy free. Im doing a lot of research online and this place also seems good to ask,

My husband gets impatient in the grocery store so i cant be reading to much labels so I need a list.

thank you in advance!
p.s
i just need advice on food not acne (ive done dermo, creams and pills)

Replies

• risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I had to eat gluten, soy, corn, dairy, and egg (among mannnny other things) for about 7 months this year. Add me to your friends list if you need some hints!! I ate pretty simple and I admit it was pretty complicated but here are some suggestions...

For breakfast I have usually eaten Bob's Red Mill GF Oats with fruit and a little stevia or agave. My favorite lunch was 2 brown rice cakes with some kind of nut butter and sliced banana on top. Anything made with rice will basically be your best friend, but watch out, it can be quite sugary. Try replacing rice with quinoa as there are mannnny websites out there with TONS of quinoa salad recipes that are quite delicious and filling.

If you need an easy meal on the go or you are hiking or something, I suggest trying Zing Bars. Many of them come dairy, soy, and gluten free and they taste just like a candy bar but have 10 g of protein and they are sweetened with agave and/or rice syrup.

Don't waste your money buying gluten free bread from health stores, all of it tastes like crap. Your best bet is to try and find a local GF bakery, they will probably have an egg and dairy free loaf that you can buy.

This is all I can think of off the top of my head, but like I said...add me because I'm sure I can think of much more!
  • ToningtheButt
    Options
    thank you! yes ill add you...
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    My husband was put on a detox diet by his doctor. All we're eating right now if fresh fruit (low glycemic), fresh veggies (except potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and eggplants) and low fat meat.

NO grains, legumes, dairy, added sugars, soy, alcohol, coffee, processed foods or canned foods. So that's pretty easy - stay in the produce and meat departments and you're done!
  • TiffMax
    TiffMax Posts: 70
    Options
    Alot of acne- like many illnesses, stem from intestinal issues as well as hormonal- consider finding someone local to you who does biofeedback and that could locate what issue you are actually dealing with that is causing the problem. Sorry, not the answer your looking for, If you are going trial and error with diet also cut the sugar- its brutal intestinally, and then to the skin:S

Also add coconut oil and tea seed oil to your diet- skin loves these oils!
  • TiffMax
    Options
    double post -site is bad tonight!
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    In major chain grocery stores:
    Bisquick gluten free
    Many of the Chex flavors
    Corn tortillas
    Flax seeds to use in replace of eggs in baking recipes
    Lara Bars
    Luna Bars
    Muscle Milk shakes
    SoDelicious Coconut milk
    Silk soy milk
    Many of the Thai food mixes

In smaller grocery stores:
    Glutino (breads, muffins, bread products- usually in freezer section)
    Envirokidz (cereal, granola bars)
    Amy's (frozen pizzas/meals/mac and cheese)
    Barbara's (cereal, I LVOE Peanut Butter Puffins!!!)
    Kinnikinnik (baked things, cookies)
    San-J Gluten free soy sauce

I personally think that stuff that is already naturally gluten free is more tasty and better for you, though. Good luck!!! (P.S you can look at my diary to see what I eat daily gluten free:)
  • TiffMax
    Options
    triple...grrr;)
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free!

Avoid things with wheat, barley, and rye. (and malt)

Stick to natural things, as the processed stuff can have contamination or added wheat. That way it's easier while you are trying to figure it out. I eat veggies, rice, potatoes, corn, meat, eggs, nuts, fruits. There are substitute gf breads and such, but I don't usually think it's worth it unless I'm really craving something. Also, watch out for soy sauce, it is usually brewed with wheat. There are gf soy sauces out there, just read the label. The grains that are gf are things like quinoa, amaranth, millet, teff...

Anyway, I hope you figure out your problems. I know how great it is to figure out the source of it. GL!
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    soy based products are good
  • nathansauntjackie
    Options
    Hi! My advice is to cook from scratch (which it sounds like you're doing!) and eat whole foods. When my husband did a doctor -directed elimination diet, he ate white rice, fruit, and veg for 2 weeks; every week thereafter he added in one new food/food group. Wheat, dairy, & meat were the last 3 weeks.

Keep track of how you're feeling after you eat, reflecting back may help you notice patterns.

I don't know a lot about gluten-free cooking, but there is a big blog world out there centered around this issue. I've heard great things about The Gluten Free Goddess (http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/). There is also <http://xgfx.org/&gt; which is a hub for all things vegan and gluten-free. Kittee, one of the creators of the site, has been vegan & gluten-free for something like 15 years. She is super nice & has emailed me back quickly when I had questions for her.

I hope some of this is helpful, and best of luck! :)
  • ToningtheButt
    Options
    is brown rice a go??
  • ToningtheButt
    Options
    is brown rice a go??
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Check out fatfreevegan.com for some great fat free recipe ideas. There are certain rules of thumb to eating dairy free. For example, in recipes you can substitute apple sauce (or other oil substitutes) for butter, and soy or almond milk for cow's milk. These tricks of the trade allow you to make everyday substitutions (such as almond milk on rice crispies for breakfast) or in cooking.

From there, you simply need to educate yourself on the gluten free products, but it is the same concept. You can eat rice, corn, oats, etc. (just not wheat or gluten). So once you discover those foods or products that are okay, you can substitute away. There is a difference between vegan and gluten free, so you will have to read the labels.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  • ToningtheButt
    Options
    Alot of acne- like many illnesses, stem from intestinal issues as well as hormonal- consider finding someone local to you who does biofeedback and that could locate what issue you are actually dealing with that is causing the problem. Sorry, not the answer your looking for, If you are going trial and error with diet also cut the sugar- its brutal intestinally, and then to the skin:S

Also add coconut oil and tea seed oil to your diet- skin loves these oils!
    I wish i could consult but not happening soon,
    I have gone low sugar before for months, it helped with body but not with face
    we are our own experiments so ill keep trying...thanks!
  • ToningtheButt
    Options
    Check out fatfreevegan.com for some great fat free recipe ideas. There are certain rules of thumb to eating dairy free. For example, in recipes you can substitute apple sauce (or other oil substitutes) for butter, and soy or almond milk for cow's milk. These tricks of the trade allow you to make everyday substitutions (such as almond milk on rice crispies for breakfast) or in cooking.

From there, you simply need to educate yourself on the gluten free products, but it is the same concept. You can eat rice, corn, oats, etc. (just not wheat or gluten). So once you discover those foods or products that are okay, you can substitute away. There is a difference between vegan and gluten free, so you will have to read the labels.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    I was eating a lot of quick oats like 3x a day and i think that was bad
    Im learning as much as i can the web and library are great.
    thank you
    Im reading up all I can, thanks!
  • ItsmeLauraB
    Options
    Because of my Fibromyalgia, I am faced with an even bigger challenge than just gluten-free. I'm tired of feeling like *kitten* all the time!! So... I'm following the "7 foods to avoid." This includes caffeine; sugar, aspartame, fructose, and sucralose; wheat and gluten, dairy, white potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers. UGH!!!! Thankfully, I'm committed. A typical day is rice chex and Almond milk( which is delicious!!) rice cakes with homemade peanut or almond butter, some kind of rice and veggie concoction, and popcorn at night. It's working! I fell better and I'm losing weight; and I love a good challenge. The hardest thing for me to give up was diet-cokes' they are like a crack addiction, lol. I also miss cheese. I've tried the veggies shreds but it's just not the same, so I'd rather just not have it than have a substitution I don't even like. I hope this helps some of you in the same boat as I am. You CAN do it!!
  • ItsmeLauraB
    Options
    Oops! I forgot to mention a great book that my Doctor suggested... The G-Free diet by Elizabeth Hasselback. I got for less than $8 on Amazon...
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Be super careful with oats. Naturally, oats ARE gluten free. The problem is that farmers grow oats side-by-side with wheat crops. So wind carries wheat seeds into the oat field, and at harvest time wheat is milled in with the oats.

Gluten free oats are grown in closed fields where there can be no cross-contamination.

Also be really careful of french fries and toritilla chips. The are both gluten free if cooked by themselves, but for example, many Mexican restaurants fry a batch of wheat-flour-battered chille rellenos and then thrown a batch of corn tortilla chips in the same oil.

Also many shampoos and conditioners have wheat. It's listed right on the ingredients list. If you're liek me an exercise and sweat a lot, you are putting wheat-laden shampoo and conditioner oin your porous skin every day! I was getting really bad scalp-acne that i though was form sweating, so I was washing my hair twice a day! Hah! It got wrose and I finally looked at the ingredients list. Wheat! (Hits head on wall, I've ben GF for years. Duh me!)

Alicia Silverstone wrote a book called "The Kind Diet" in which she talks about the hormones and genetic modification and how it effects shin. On amazon there are critics that say she has no science to prove her ideas, but lots of people just believe in the troubles that come from dairy.
  • wheatandglutenfree
    Options
    Hi, for more information on a wheat, gluten and dairy frr informatio, why not visit my website http://www.wheatandglutenfreedietinfo.com as bad skin is cleared up a lot when followin these sorts of foods.

Spencer
  • chrissiemissie
    Options
    It's not enough to just eliminate gluten free and dairy free foods. You need to make sure you compensate for the nutrients you are missing as a result of avoiding those types of good - e.g. calcium and b-vitamins. That's where it can be useful to join specially designed programs, such as this http://www.spoonfedsuppers.com/healthy-eating/healthy-diet/dairy_free_foods