Half marathon, little training...anyone?

I did my first half marathon almost 4 years ago. I only got up to 8-9 miles during my training. Finished it w/no problem & at a decent time (walking & jogging). I remember feeling that if you are in shape & exercise regularly, most anyone could make it through.

There is one (locally) that I'd like to sign up for, but it's only 7 weeks away. My exercise routine has been down, but I'm still active & get in a couple workouts a week. I'd like to beat my previous time, but my main goal is just to finish.

Due to busy schedule, I know I won't get many "long runs" in before the race. Part of me says - as long as I'm in good shape & do what I can up until the race, I should be fine. The other part says - that was 4 years ago & I trained for months prior.

Opinions? Any one else "wing-it" & make it through fine?

Replies

• Kellie0710
    Kellie0710 Posts: 95 Member
    I havent done a half marathon yet but an scheduled to compete one in just a few weeks and I feel as if I am no where near ready for it lol But the time limit for this one is 4 hours, so thats keeping an 18 minute and 22 second mile, which could be done power walking. So at this point my goal is just to finish it. I hope to jog more than I walk, but I guess I will see when the day gets here lol =)
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    I haven't run many races, but those I did, you feel the training more after the race, than anything else.

The more training I do, the better I feel when I am done.

I say, go for it. You could always walk it when necessary. :)

Oh - and one more thing. I did 'wing' a walking half marathon (even though I was training for a running 5k) and got the worst blisters of my life. But, other than that and being sore, I was fine.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    I have my first half-marathon in one month. All I've done thus far is 10k. Hmm.... I'm going to keep on trucking - walk/jog.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    I think you could do it, but really really try to get some long runs in before to help prevent injuries (working up to them) Just go do your best, and walk when you need to. Good luck!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I'd say go for it, just don't really plan to beat your last time. Sometimes just finishing is an accomplishment. You can walk and run in intervals and finish in a decent time rather than try to push yourself and risk not finishing.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    You are already in good shape to finish. Fois on that and train and for a future race.
  • runrogrun
    runrogrun Posts: 36 Member
    I think you'll most probably be fine - I've done a few half marathons without the best training. Just pace yourself, start slow, drink lots of water and walk if you need to. Most importantly, enjoy it! I wouldn't aim to beat your previous time - use this as a new benchmark and then enter another one to beat it in a couple of months!

Good luck :smile:
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    I have my first one in 2 weeks at Virginia Beach. I haven't done much training but I have dropped pounds via strength training and I have run anywhere from 4-6 miles at least 1-2 times a week. As long as you plan to finish and are not doing it competitively, I think you can get away without serious training.

I'll run/walk it if I have to but more than likely I'll run most of it..
  • NBFIT
    NBFIT Posts: 79
    Thanks for all the advice & encouragement! I am a little concerned w/injury. Last time I taped up my feet & ankles, but couldn't hardly walk on the right one for a few days after. I could feel it those last couple miles, but I refuse to stop for injury if I can take it. Illness is a different story. Think I'm gonna do it. Wish me luck!
  • Kellie0710
    Kellie0710 Posts: 95 Member
    I have my first one in 2 weeks at Virginia Beach. I haven't done much training but I have dropped pounds via strength training and I have run anywhere from 4-6 miles at least 1-2 times a week. As long as you plan to finish and are not doing it competitively, I think you can get away without serious training.

I'll run/walk it if I have to but more than likely I'll run most of it..

Are you doing the RnR?? Thats the one I'm doing =D
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    @Minnie2407..

Yup :o)

I've heard they are fun..