New journey thanks to health scare

Options
Hi everyone! A week ago today, I went for a routine eye exam, and my eye doc told me my optic nerves were swollen, and she was worried that meant my brain could be too, so she sent me to the ER. After many tests and imaging, I was diagnosed with cranial hypertension (too much spinal fluid causing pressure on my brain and eyes.) We did a spinal tap for immediate relief and I started a medicine to regulate that.

However, all the various doctors told me that I'm in the target demographic for this condition because I'm an overweight female of child-bearing age. They all said in addition to taking this new medicine, the BEST thing I can do is lose weight. My primary care doctor told me about this site today, so here I am! I would love to be actively involved in this community for nutrition tips (who's got some healthy recipes!?) and also for advice on how to slowly get started with exercise.

I'm very thankful my diagnosis was not anything more sinister, so I am feeling optimistic and hopeful! Just a little unsure of how to get started on the path to a healthier lifestyle.

Replies

• angela592009
    angela592009 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you x
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    If you want tips read the "must read" posts that are chock full of information for those starting. Good luck.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    This is a great place to get advice and tips. Read the forums you will soon figure out who the most knowledgeable and helpful posters are. There is a recipe forum for swapping recipes that is also very useful.

Glad you have got your diagnosis, a colleague of mine had the same thing diagnosed (a good few years ago now) and she is fine with her meds. It was scary for her at the time though.

To lose weight just eat the calories MFP gives you plus some of your exercise calories back. The trick is to eat the foods you like but in portions to fit your calorie goal. Drastically changing your diet can be overwhelming and often leads to giving up. Small changes over time are more easily sustained.

A lot of people find lifting weights is very beneficial for strength and to preserve your muscle while you are losing weight and no you won't get bulky :) Some cardio for stamina and fitness, also burns calories so you can eat a bit more.

Find an excercise you enjoy and start slowly and build up. Maybe take a few classes and see how it goes.

Losing weight should not be a horrible experience it should be enjoyable and sustainable.

Good luck :)
  • kharmony822
    kharmony822 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello, good luck on your new journey..I like to make a vegetable soup with veggie broth and lots of low carb veggies in it, I add what ever herbs I have available..You can also use beef broth or chicken broth. This soup fills me up helps with cravings.
  • vivekggopi
    vivekggopi Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Good luck keep focused
  • kellyjwebster1
    kellyjwebster1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! I love these message boards and the diversity of people in this community!