Weights vs Cardio Vascular workouts

Options
Hi there,

So following a number of discussions (read rows!) with my other half who is quite the advocate of weight training - I have always preferred a "sweatier" workout, and feel I'm working harder if I'm out of breath etc. So I tend to stick to CV work, with a bit of weights at the end (mainly squats and lunges, and a few ab exercises). NOW... having recently had a procedure on my foot, I am still recovering, cant wear my trainers at the moment (wearing flipflops til swelling goes down). Procedure was last week and I am keen to start exercising again. So.... while I can't walk/run/cycle etc etc (as I need trainers on!), I've been doing weights in the gym (in socks, no trainers) - I was wondering how much truth there is the arguments for and against weight training.

While I'm not worried about becoming some muscly woman, I know we don't build muscle like guys do. But in terms of weight loss - any comments/thoughts !?!?! Because not only while I am recovering and cannot do CV, I am thinking there are times when weight training will suit (when I've time restrictions during a lunch hour gym session OR when I go to the gym with boyfriend who loves weights etc)...

Any thoughts ?

Thanks,
Mel x

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Def. lift those weights girl!

I don't know about you, but when I lift I am one sweaty jello-like puddle at the end.. and while I like to walk on the treadmill, I think I like weights more because I can switch it up.

I generally lift for like 30-40 minutes twice a week, unless I'm seeing my personal trainer.. then I lift for closer to an hour.

In that time frame I do:
    Squats
    Lunges
    BI-Cep Curls
    Chest Press
    Tri-Cep Dips
    Seated Row
    Assisted Pull Ups
    Plank
    Hanging Knee Raises
    Leg Press

I normally do 3 sets of each exercise for between 12-15 reps.

Since combining weights and cardio, I've dropped 2 pants sizes, 1 dress size and look smaller/firmer over all.. def. a good thing!
  • jeffchrist
    Options
    I've been reading a lot about weights vs cardio since starting to get back into shape. lighter weights and higher repetitions will definitely burn calories and not build bulk, but will tone you up. core exercises with weights will do the same thing. The other benefit of training with weights is that you will burn calories for up to 6 hours after your workout...whereas cardio will burn calories for roughly 2 hours after your workout.

hope this helps. Enjoy
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    if you want to burn fat, one of the best things you can do is high intensity resistance training. high intensity requires doing higher weight for 5-8 reps where you feel spent at the end of the set. you will definitely sweat if you do this. and, as you said, you will NOT build manly muscle (unless you're roiding it up).

if you do lighter weight for more reps, you're not going to burn much fat. sure, you may burn some calories, but its easy to burn sugar/water. burning fat requires higher intensity.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    There are benefits to both forms of exercise...

For resistance training, you'll strengthen your bones, increase lean body mass (critical as you get older), positively impact your hormones, increase self-confidence, improve your posture (with back exercises), accelerate fat loss, get stronger in general, etc.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You need a combination of both. While aerobic exercise burns lots of calories while doing it - strength training is still burning calories long after you've finished your workout.

People with lots of weight to lose can concentrate more on cardio first. As you get closer to your goal, shift the concentration to strength training.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Def. lift those weights girl!

I don't know about you, but when I lift I am one sweaty jello-like puddle at the end.. and while I like to walk on the treadmill, I think I like weights more because I can switch it up.

I agree! I think I sweat more during strength training. I'm working hard and continuously (like circuit-training - very little rest between sets). My HRM confirms this - average heart rate is usually the same as with cardio, and peak is sometimes higher. I do strength training three days a week for 50-60 minutes.

If you like the sweatier work, I'd look into strength training in a circuit.
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I recommend reading New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a great read...very informative. I do kettlebells and I plan on doing the workouts recommended in the book.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Defnitely, weights are the way to go. Having said that, I'm also doing zumba because it does burn some calories, and it's fun. :smile:
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Weight training is extremely beneficial!! I'm sure you've heard the arguments that weight training increases lean muscle mass (which it does), but it's the lean muscle that's doing to burn the body fat faster than strict cardio. The only drawback to CV exercise is that it doesn't discriminate: CV will not only burn body fat, but it will just as equally burn lean muscle mass. The healthiest person will have more lean muscle mass than body fat.

Best results: doing a hybrid regime of weight training and CV. There are many opinions as to which you should do first (CV before WT or vice versa). I subscribe to the belief that you should do a short CV warm-up, WT for at least 30 min, and follow up with at least 30 mins CV. I used to do 5-10 CV warm up, 30-45 min WT, and 1 hr CV...I dropped weight fast, but because I didn't diet correctly (was way under my cals), I burned more lean muscle mass than I did body fat. In fact, I burned very little body fat! I was so upset.

Which ever method you choose, be sure to eat your cals!! :)
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks eveyrone for your replies, I'm new to this site, and overwhelmed how many of you took the time to reply. Impressed. :)

While I'm recovering from foot procedure (joint wear on big toe) I CAN'T do CV for now, so I found a love for weights. And finding surprisingly that I enjoy it. I like the "burn" I get that evening after a daytime session, and the little ache the next day. Oh and I DO sweat, just not to the same extent as I would if I were on a cross trainer or running on a treadill.

I guess you've answered my question, I was wondering if I should be doing 12-15 reps of a manageable weight, or really pushing myself with a heavier weight that I can only manage 5-8 reps of. So I really appreciate your advice guys n gals, thank you.

I won't do ONLY cv once I'm able to do get a trainer on and do some proper weight bearing exercise. I play squash once a week and netball season starts up again in September. So I guess I can do the weight/strength training on "gym days" as I will be getting my CV work outs outside the gym.

thanks all again,
    Mel
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I'm going to echo the 'New Rules of Lifting for Women' I've got NROL the original and it's BRILLIANT. I'm currently waiting for pay day for the women's version, but every review I've read said it's fantastic.

It gives you programs and everything.