Resistance rubber bands

Options
What is your favorite exercise to do with rubber bands, especially leg exercises.
Planning to do my leg workout at home today and would like to hear your favorites. :)

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of side plank clams. Banded bird-dogs. Fire-hydrant stuff. Band walks. I have issues with glute activation, so all of these help me tremendously.
  • pnash4508
    pnash4508 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just bought some recently and keep forgetting to use them. I need to follow this post for ideas.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have all kinds of bands. Long and short bands. I use them for added resistance with weights usually but there is plenty you can do with just bands. Sometimes I double up too for more punch. You can do put the loop around your thighs for glute bridges, hip thrusts, frog pumps, also kickbacks, abductions, clams, reverse hypers if you have a bench, squats, fire hydrants, monster and lateral walks, single leg deadlifts (with a long band), good mornings (long band), hip extensions etc.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I have all kinds of bands. Long and short bands. I use them for added resistance with weights usually but there is plenty you can do with just bands. Sometimes I double up too for more punch. You can do put the loop around your thighs for glute bridges, hip thrusts, frog pumps, also kickbacks, abductions, clams, reverse hypers if you have a bench, squats, fire hydrants, monster and lateral walks, single leg deadlifts (with a long band), good mornings (long band), hip extensions etc.

WOW! This is impressive!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    I have some at work. While I sit at my desk, I'll put short bands just below my knees, then move my knees in and out. Or move them apart and hold. Or some variation. Works great to build up the glute meds.

At home I'll put them around my ankles, grab a dumbbell in one hand, go into a squat position, raise the dumbbell over my head, and walk side to side, pushing my body over with my planted food, and varying how deep I go into a squat. 10 steps each direction, x 3 reps. This is a great all purpose exercise for glutes and quads. The single dumbbell hold makes it work great for your shoulders and core. It's tough one though. Maybe start without the dumbbell and progress to that later.
  • hopelessdreamer12
    hopelessdreamer12 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Is there a certain brand you use? I’ve been looking in to them but there is just show many to choose from.

• an0393na
    an0393na Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Rubber bands are awesome for stretches!
  • noorasohvi
    noorasohvi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the tips!
    an0393na wrote: »
    Rubber bands are awesome for stretches!
    I'm pretty new with rubber bands but didn't think about this one, thanks!

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Is there a certain brand you use? I’ve been looking in to them but there is just show many to choose from.

I use the Sling Shot hip circle (big fabric one), also Bret Contreras has fabric loops which are fantastic and he sells through his website. I also have the rubber NeebooFit Mini bands.

Other good brands I've heard about: Rogue, Perform Better, WODFitness, and The X Bands
  • Wingsont84
    Wingsont84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    When I use bands it's usually to improve on my balancing myself or to improve on a slap shot or baseball swing
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Lateral band walks are great. I walk the length of the gym and back and my glutes are on fire!
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Glute kickbacks, abductions, x band walks, rows, lat pulldown, curls, the options are really endless.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Stretching the hamstrings, that's my favourite use.
    My PT though she has far more uses for them that I don't like so much, my least favourite was round the tops of my arms and then getting me to tricep walk up and down a flight of stairs. It hurt to lift my arms for days after that.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    What kind of bands? The smaller ones that fit above your knees? I use those for almost every leg exercise: squats, deadlifts, glute bridges, hip thrusts, lateral walks, clam shells. I waddle around the gym with them on for most of my workout. I'm sure people think I'm nuts
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I have a set of Bowmar bands and use these for both resistance and assistance. One of my primary goals is increasing my pull-ups so I use these in shoulder exercises. I've gotten pretty creative in using these when I don't have access to pulley resistance.