Avocado

Options
I munch avocado for breakfast but as soon as I do some of my goal nutrients are over!? How can a healthy naturally fatty fruit be deemed so bad for you?

Replies

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    celsnowden wrote: »
    I munch avocado for breakfast but as soon as I do some of my goal nutrients are over!? How can a healthy naturally fatty fruit be deemed so bad for you?

why does it automatically mean its bad for you just because you you exceed micronutrients?

I think some new loggers are misinformed. Perhaps seeing the overage in the color red makes them think avocado is bad for them. Also, if they haven't disabled commentary on their app, they might've seen a warning like "Your daily goal is to eat less than X grams of fat" and came to the conclusion that the avocado is a problem food.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    MFP isn't deeming it "bad for you," they're just telling you where you're trending for nutrient consumption for the day.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Over time, I've deemed a whole avocado to be too many calories for me for one meal. So I'll have a quarter or half, log it by the gram, and put away the rest, treated with lemon juice to prevent browning, for the next day.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    No not bad for you just needs to be managed thoughtfully for its calorie content.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    i eat one every day....the smaller ones, 116 grams and it first perfectly in my macro's....depends what your needs are though
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I don't see any nutrients that an avocado alone would put you over, and why would you mind being over the MINIMUM target for a micronutrient.

I suspect you are seeing red for poly and monounsaturated fat, and that's because the target sometimes shows as 0 (it should be N/A). There are no actual minimums or maximums set for them.

If it's carbs-fat-protein, you might want to check your goals, as they may not be reasonable (and would not be the default).

I typically eat only half too, due to calories and what else I want at whatever meal it is, but there's no reason a whole avocado shouldn't fit.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    When it comes to micronutrients, you probably won't get extra credit for going above and beyond, but your body is the kind of passive-aggressive teacher to mark you down for doing the extra credit either.
    If you're habitually over micros by an order of magnitude, that's generally where it worth reducing, but getting there by whole foods would be surprising.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    celsnowden wrote: »

It's not deeming it bad for you. There's nothing inherently magical about MFP's default macro settings either...people adjust them all the time. I'm not sure how an avocado in the morning would exceed your total dietary fat macro though...unless you're seeing it for poly and monounsaturated fats...in which case these are 0 or N/A because there is not particular number that is sanctioned by any health body.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I eat a whole one once a week, in a salad for lunch. They are delicious and it keeps me full all afternoon.
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Options
    With healthy fats they have a high calorie content like nuts, olive oil, avocado, peanut butter but you dont need alot to make it beneficial. I stick to portions. Portion of nuts are 1/4 cup, olive oil a tablespoon and avocado is about 1/4, peanut butter 2 tablespoons but i always only have 1 tablespoon