Yummy smoothie

Options
I have this smoothie most mornings for breakfast.

Take 1/2 cup frozen berries and thaw in microwave for about 20 seconds. Add 1/2 cup spinach leaves (sounds gross, I know, but just try it!), 1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt, and some skim milk. You can also add your favorite protein powder or shake mix (I use a 1/2 scoop of vanilla shake mix) but it's great without it too. Blend and enjoy.

The berries completely mask the taste, texture, and even color of the spinach. You get a ton of nutrients this way for very little calories.

You can also add some pineapple, peaches, or other fruit; use a different liquid instead of milk; add honey to sweeten; add a little orange juice; or just about anything else.

Mine is almost always under 200 calories and very filling!

Replies

• LeslieReagan
    Options
    i'm so glad i saw this because i just bought some frozen fruit thinking that i would make smoothies! thanks for the recipe!
  • Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I also make that smoothie...I LOVE it!!! where did you get that recipe? My son introduced me to it last year. I wondered where he got it. I also add walnuts & celery at times. it is a great yummy smoothie.
  • deborahmorris
    deborahmorris Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Sounds nice...thanks for the recipe...:flowerforyou:
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    I love my fruit/spinach smoothies. I use unsweetened almond milk instead of skim milk.....and sometimes I substitute some avacado for the spinach. It makes it a little higher in calories, but it's a good fat and will really stick with you! Chocolate protein powder is really good. It's only limited by your creativity! Some other add ins to try: Vanilla, cinnamon, greek yogurt and literally ANY kind of fruit. I've had some cantelope and pineapple in the fridge that were not getting eaten quickly enough, so I put them in bags and threw them in the freezer to use in my smoothies at a later date.
  • Jeffmo79
    Jeffmo79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been having Kimberly Snyder's "Glowing Green" smoothie for breakfast every morning for the last 2 weeks & it's not bad. Gives you a ton of evergy for the day & definitely fills you up. Will yield around 4 cups of "smoothie" & yes, it's all 1 serving.
    1 head romaine
    2 cups spinach
    1 apple
    1 pear
    1 banana
    4 stalks celery
    1 cucumber (lots of good calcium in them - especially if you're cutting back on dairy)
    Juice of 1 lemon
    The fruit totally masks the taste of the spinach - not bad at all. They also optionally recommend adding cilantro & parsley but that didn't taste right. Took 4 - 5 days to really start feeling energized in the morning from it. I also stopped drinking coffee at the same time (5 espresso's a day on average). Sleeping much much better & feel great. She has a website & a book which promotes being vegan which I AM NOT - however, i'm gonna continue drinking this in the morning. This is what Josh Duhamel, Fergie & Drew Barrymore all drink in the morning & looks like they know a thing or 2 about being in perfect shape... Here's the link to the recipe on her web page. You can also find her on youtube from when she was on The Today Show with Kathy Lee (can't stand her) & Hoda.
    http://www.kimberlysnyder.net/blog/2009/07/11/green-smoothie-recipe/
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i'm so glad i saw this because i just bought some frozen fruit thinking that i would make smoothies! thanks for the recipe!

When I was on WW a lot of people talked about adding spinach to their smoothies. I experimented for awhile and my recipe is what I liked best. :) I like using berries vs. other fruits because they mask the green spinach color so well.
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Very helpful information. I'm gonna make a smoothie in the morning.