Shin Splints

Options
Got back in to running on the treadmill and probably did too much too quickly and got shin splints. I was stretching, but I guess not enough

Can I still walk/run on the treadmill or do I need to wait until this goes away before I start again?

I know about the ibuprofen, stretching, and ice but has anyone else had them and found something that helps also?

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    this -

• NSthingoldline
    NSthingoldline Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from shin splints. I've started using compression socks, lots of stretching after my run sessions and foam rolling.
  • Nysportsred
    Nysportsred Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from shin splints. I've started using compression socks, lots of stretching after my run sessions and foam rolling.

Do the socks help? You still run when you have them?

I did some cupping last night. The pain/discomfort from an 8 to a 4 overnight

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Make sure your shoes are fitted properly and aren’t too old. My husband gets them every time he starts running.. he even started slowly with the C25k program. I asked the folks at our local running store and they also recommended compression socks... but didn’t have much advice beyond that 🙁. My theory is too much too soon, more rest days in between and make sure you aren’t increasing mileage too quickly.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I had shin splints when I first started running. Went and got a gait analysis done at a running store and they got me into stability shoes. Cleared up the shin splints PDQ. Now I use my shins to let me know when it is time to get new shoes.

I couldn't run when I had them. Hurt way too much.
  • NSthingoldline
    NSthingoldline Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Do the socks help? You still run when you have them?

I did some cupping last night. The pain/discomfort from an 8 to a 4 overnight

I still get them but not nearly as often or as severe so yes, they've helped me greatly. My biggest fear was getting a stress fracture. And I agree with other posts, get fitted for shoes by a professional at a running store.

• Nysportsred
    Nysportsred Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The sneakers are new and got them from a running store and I have orthotics, but I think it was too much too soon.