Fitbit calorie deficit

Options
Hello all! Is there anyway to keep my Fitbit and MFP synced but NOT have Fitbit add calories I've earned by exercising? It is messing me up and I'm afraid of overeating - I'm trying to keep those calories as a deficit. I go in my diary and remove them but I'd like a more permanent solution.

Thanks!

Replies

• therichters1301
    therichters1301 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am curious of this as well. Or how to permanently disconnect! I’m having to go in several times a day to delete the exercise!
  • Stellamom2018
    Stellamom2018 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I dont have mine synced and then manually enter my exercise calories. I only eat back 50% of what my fitbit says I burn during exercise. I have mfp set to lightly active because of my daily step count before exercise. I've lost about 53lbs now :)
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I mean, you COULD just not link the two, but I’m wondering why you’re so certain you shouldn’t be eat those calories. I have my Fitbit synced with negative calorie adjustment enabled and it seems to be pretty accurate. Some days I may not eat all of my calories, but I balance that out with a higher calorie day here and there.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I don't have mine sync. I go off of the calories I burn with my Fitbit and changed my calorie intake on MFP.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you go to your settings and uncheck "Enable Negative Calorie Adjustments" it should do just that....

Not that is not what that feature is for.

The disallows "negative calories adjustments" as it states...for example when you wake up in the morning it could say -150 calories earned...because you haven't moved much..

To the OP why do you have them sync'd if you don't want the calorie adjustment.

That is the whole point of that particular feature...so you don't have to add in the exercise calories you earned?

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    You are supposed to eat back your exercise calories (or at least half) that's how MFP works. the calorie goal is for the requested lose rate WITHOUT exercise. you shouldn't add a larger deficit.

but if you really don't want to see the info then unlink the two apps.
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    If you have your Fitbit synced with MFP then you shouldn't record your exercise in MFP...is that correct? I just got a Fitbit Versa and when I had it synced it seemed to be double dipping my exercise calories. Also, I have MFP synced with Strava so when I did a bike ride and it uploaded to Strava, then it synced with MFP, it would once again double dip if my Fitbit sent MFP exercise calories...clear as mud?

I think if you don't have MFP synced with anything else and you don't input your exercise to MFP, then the Fitbit in theory should measure correctly or close thereabouts.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    If you do enter an activity in MFP because it’s not a Fitbit measured activity (like water aerobics), be sure to enter the correct start time and minutes. That way, it will override any Fitbit activity for that time and won’t double count it.
  • Aint2Proud2Meg
    Aint2Proud2Meg Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

The disallows "negative calories adjustments" as it states...for example when you wake up in the morning it could say -150 calories earned...because you haven't moved much..

I just double checked bc I haven’t had a Fitbit in a while and didn’t want to be giving incorrect info.

It does both what you said and what I said.I just unchecked mine and it removed my earned calories from manually entered exercise.

I do remember getting negative calorie adjustments on my lazy days when I had my Fitbit!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

I just double checked bc I haven’t had a Fitbit in a while and didn’t want to be giving incorrect info.

It does both what you said and what I said.I just unchecked mine and it removed my earned calories from manually entered exercise.

I do remember getting negative calorie adjustments on my lazy days when I had my Fitbit!

I have a Fitbit and it doesn't do what you originally said.
  • Aint2Proud2Meg
    Aint2Proud2Meg Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

I have a Fitbit and it doesn't do what you originally said.

Well guys I apologize. I was so certain that was how it worked, but I should have deferred to you all! For my added exercise it takes away cals I've earned back ( I really did test it!), but I suppose it makes sense that it might not let you if you're syncing the two. I appreciate the correction; I finally got my mom on board with mfp+fitbit and I don't want to tell her wrong!