Runners knee help!

Options
I’ve been jogging every day for the last couple of weeks, and didn’t have an issue until this Monday, when I started to jog I got a really uncomfortable pain under and around my left knee cap, I tried to jog through it but it got more painful, i looked it up and it seems to be runners knee. Anyone have any experience with this? What could I do to help with pain relief? Will I ever be able to jog again without the discomfort??

Replies

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Ice & mortin. It wasn’t until I started weight training that the knee pain went away with running. You probably need to strengthen the muscles supporting your knee.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Ice, rest, compression sleeve. Rest days are important and I’d suggest less intense runs for awhile.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Just rest it for a while, you probably shouldn't jog every day if you are not used to it. It's a fairly high impact activity and your body needs time to adjust. After you've healed, maybe start out with something like C25k.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I caution you to not try to work through knee pain. My knees are still problematic after injuring them 9 years ago. I'll share with you the strengthening exercises I got from my physical therapist, but you should really have your own medical professional check you out.

dbhc745std7m.jpg

I also do these between weight lifting sets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLoMA7I7HOQ&list=PLUXvX9BaxgqG9yO5XWB3gA_QshvrrcjVr&t=2s&index=2
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    See your PCP, and get a referral to PT. I had it for a bit, went to PT and learned some strengthening exercises, and haven't had a problem since.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I’m going through the same thing right now, it was so bad I couldn’t even walk without pain for a few weeks. My doctor gave me a cortisone shot which helped a lot and prescribed PT. I’ve been RICEing it as well but it doesn’t seem to help much... I have a marathon on Sunday so I’m trying pretty much everything lol. The doctor also sent me home with an $80 knee brace but it hurts like heck, I ended up buying a strap on amazon for $2 (had a coupon!) and it helped a lot yesterday on my run. Still pretty sore this morning though. I’m also trying anti inflammatory foods like pineapple and salmon although at this point I doubt it does much. Here’s that strap if you want to try it out though. I think rest and staying off it for a few weeks would be best... first thing is to get down the inflammation and then strengthen the surrounding muscles through therapy.
    lz28pv41en9a.png

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I’ve been jogging every day for the last couple of weeks, and didn’t have an issue until this Monday, when I started to jog I got a really uncomfortable pain under and around my left knee cap, I tried to jog through it but it got more painful, i looked it up and it seems to be runners knee. Anyone have any experience with this? What could I do to help with pain relief? Will I ever be able to jog again without the discomfort??

I'd see a physio for an actual diagnosis, RICE in the meantime.

Are you a runner or have you gone from not running to running every day? If it's the latter then it may well just be too much too soon that's caused it.

Cross training and strength training would really help going forward- once you can run without pain.

• Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    In addition to easing into jogging, make sure your footing is right and you're wearing shoes with good support. You would be surprised how many people run improperly, and with it being high impact it can wreak havoc on your knees. I second the strengthening exercises and you can always opt for cutting back to a few days a week and using an elliptical or walking on the other days.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Some great advice has already been provided, but to add onto the above responses...it might also be worthwhile to get yourself fitted for shoes properly; if you plan on continuing to run as a long term health benefit! That can also make a world of difference. :smile:
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Hi great advice already. look after your knees going into old age if you don't have to run try bike or rowing etc. Weight loss will help with impact on knees. But take in all this advice posted. but don't start running till your pain free or you may do more damage. And you don't want to do more damage!
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    I’m going through the same thing right now, it was so bad I couldn’t even walk without pain for a few weeks. My doctor gave me a cortisone shot which helped a lot and prescribed PT. I’ve been RICEing it as well but it doesn’t seem to help much... I have a marathon on Sunday so I’m trying pretty much everything lol. The doctor also sent me home with an $80 knee brace but it hurts like heck, I ended up buying a strap on amazon for $2 (had a coupon!) and it helped a lot yesterday on my run. Still pretty sore this morning though. I’m also trying anti inflammatory foods like pineapple and salmon although at this point I doubt it does much. Here’s that strap if you want to try it out though. I think rest and staying off it for a few weeks would be best... first thing is to get down the inflammation and then strengthen the surrounding muscles through therapy.
    lz28pv41en9a.png

Thanks for this! I don’t get a lot of pain but I am starting to train for a 10K. Last year I did
    hurt my knee and the ortho did say I have patella issues & crooked knee caps or something like that. Anyway I’m excited to see if I can feel the difference!