Insanity

Options
runboxgame
runboxgame Posts: 18 Member
edited January 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I am thinking about trying Insanity. Any advice/thoughts/opinions on the program?

Replies

• j010219
    j010219 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Mind your form. Tried it and had to stop at 5 weeks because my knees were killing me. Did it again a few years later, after being a more experienced exerciser and knowledgeable about form, and went through it with no pain at all.
    And don't hesitate do do 2 days on - 1 day off at first. The schedule has you do it 6 times a week but if you're starting out it's really taxing. I worked my way up to 6 times a week and it was great.

Go through it. You'll feel invincible once you finish.
  • runboxgame
    runboxgame Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you, that is good advice. I hope to feel that way eventually! :) That would be so great.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I absolutely loved it. Month 2 killed me!
  • jwcannon70
    jwcannon70 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Believe it when Shaun T. says "It is alright to take rests." The people in the video are fitness trainers and do not get discouraged that you cannot keep up with them. As Shaun T says "Take a rest and get right back in it." You might take many rests at first but will see improvement within the first couple of weeks.
  • richardbarlow2
    richardbarlow2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For any exercise to be beneficial, you need to do it well, if you are fatigued, you will not perform well and your body will not benefit as much as if you take time to rest and let your body repair itself. I have heard of insanity but it's not my thing, I cycle but the principles are the same for any exercise. Start off doing a manageable amount and build intensity and volume as you get fitter. 6 days a week for a person that isn't used to it is too much, once the enthusiasm is waning and you are feeling knackered but trying to perform, that's when you are likely to be miserable, then you may struggle to continue. It has to be manageable.
  • knempress
    knempress Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've done it several times and always see good results. I enjoy it, but it's not a beginner program. If you don't go in with at least some baseline level of fitness, I think it would be quite discouraging.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend T25 first then insanity that's what I did and I don't think I would have got through insanity had I not previously done T25
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    If you can get to a class rather than just trying it at home I would say that's the best way to go.

The people in the videos are simply not human, they are superhuman and you may find that even the modifications given are still too hard. A good instructor will be able to give you modifications to your level.
    For example when I first started I couldn't even get up off the floor so couldn't do a conventional burpee, so she had me use a bench. Then as I got fitter she modified it less and less for me until I was starting to do the full on chest to floor with star jump.
  • snowdemon75
    snowdemon75 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I’ve just started my third week loving it but it’s hard I’ve had to miss a couple of days this week though but I’ll be back on track tomorrow