Can women lift weights without getting broad shoulders

Options
2»

Replies

• UmaMageswarymfp
    UmaMageswarymfp Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    Omg I did not mean to hurt anyone’s feeling , I just personally don’t like broad shoulders because it makes ME look less feminine. Most women can pull of broad shoulders and I’m not one of them . That’s because I’m still overweight and imagine overweight + broad shoulders + really tall . Not a good combo right ? Exactly 😭

I don't think you hut anyone's feelings. People are just saying that your perception may be off. You don't get broader shoulders by lifting weights. Period. You get more defined muscles which always looks nice, and certainly doesn't make you look masculine. As you lose weight, your shoulders actually get smaller because of fat loss.

And you don't lose shoulder fat by lifting weights, you lose it by eating at a calorie deficit.

Understood
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Omg I did not mean to hurt anyone’s feeling , I just personally don’t like broad shoulders because it makes ME look less feminine. Most women can pull of broad shoulders and I’m not one of them . That’s because I’m still overweight and imagine overweight + broad shoulders + really tall . Not a good combo right ? Exactly 😭

I have structurally wide shoulders and I’m an inch shy of 6 ft tall so I understand what you are saying. My shoulders and arms have always been thin except when I was obese. I lost 43 lbs and my arms were one of the last places I lost fat. I lost weight by eating within my calorie allowance and doing cardio like walking, hiking, running, biking and swimming. Lift if you are interested in doing it but it’s not required to lose weight, a calorie deficit is all you really need.
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    UmaMageswarymfp Posts: 280 Member
    Options

I have structurally wide shoulders and I’m an inch shy of 6 ft tall so I understand what you are saying. My shoulders and arms have always been thin except when I was obese. I lost 43 lbs and my arms were one of the last places I lost fat. I lost weight by eating within my calorie allowance and doing cardio like walking, hiking, running, biking and swimming. Lift if you are interested in doing it but it’s not required to lose weight, a calorie deficit is all you really need.

OMG YESSSS THANK YOU
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Lifting weights doesn't make your shoulders broad...that's a bone structure thing, and that doesn't change with lifting weights. You either have broad shoulders or you do not...you can't make them more broad or less broad.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    [quote=

Lifting weights doesn't make your shoulders broad...that's a bone structure thing, and that doesn't change with lifting weights. You either have broad shoulders or you do not...you can't make them more broad or less broad.[/quote]

Add some muscle to the bones with lifting, and those shoulders will stand out just a bit! On the bright side: it makes my backside appear much smaller...and I like that a lot... :)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Literature suggest that men or woman with broad shoulders & a smaller waist will respond to training better.

That being said the exact opposite, men or woman wirh narrow shoulders and wider waist respond less than average.

If your coach is suggesting that you lose fat in certain areas by doing a specific lift, he/she is wrong and I would suggest looking for a more experienced trainer.

If your want less of a hypertrophy response, then simply do less volume of the lift (this case shoulders with the pressing or contracting motion).

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I certainly think you can lift, but do it smartly based on your goals and preferences (minimal direct shoulder work, lower volume, etc).
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Probably what has happened is that you have lost weight on your lower body and your shoulders now just look bigger in comparison. If you are still carrying fat around your shoulders they will reduce as you continue to lose weight if your shoulders are bone that's just how your structure is and you won't be able to change this other than to gain muscle on your lower body to add some balance.

I am an inverted triangle shape so my shoulders will always be wider than my hips. I have learned to accept them.
  • littlebear0121
    littlebear0121 Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I have always had broad shoulders--the limiting factor in buying any shirt, dress, or jacket has always been my shoulders. However, in the past year I've lost a little over 20 pounds. I do lift about 3 times a week and the cardio that I do every day (nordic walking and skiing) is also working my shoulders. With that modest weight loss, my shoulders are actually less broad (I lost fat there.)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    As others mentioned, a lot of it will come down to your bone structure. Obviously you can build mass in the shoulders, but typically this takes years and very focused training to build muscle. In a deficit you will mostly be maintaining what you have, but you can avoid excess shoulder work if you feel things are not going in the right direction.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options

Broad shoulders and tall sound beautiful to me! Also, a strong woman is beautiful because she exudes confidence.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If only this was the 80s! Remember dresses those enormous shoulder pads?
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Broad shoulders has much to do with bone structure/clavicle. I am somewhat confused why either male or female would not want broad or big shoulders; weight lifting takes years-decades to add just a few measly inches to the deltoids. Generally look great on both males & females & are a very sought after bodypart in terms of size & shape (roundness/capped look)

When they look not so great (blatantly apparent) is when people inject synthol into the delts
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Broad shoulders has much to do with bone structure/clavicle. I am somewhat confused why either male or female would not want broad or big shoulders; weight lifting takes years-decades to add just a few measly inches to the deltoids. Generally look great on both males & females & are a very sought after bodypart in terms of size & shape (roundness/capped look)

When they look not so great (blatantly apparent) is when people inject synthol into the delts

Everybody has their own preferred aesthetic. Nothing wrong with that.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I have big shoulders. I hit shoulders twice a week (1st: heavy with moderate volume and 2nd: lower weight/higher volume).

Don't do this.