high blood sugar levels

Options
last week my sugar was 12.7 . my doctor diagnosed me as officially diabetic but after a week on diet control ie no sugar or white carbs and especially no carbs at night, plus lots of walking and jogging my sugar is down to 8 today! WOW it works!!! hope this can inspire others with high blood sugar

Replies

• academical
    Options
    Was wondering how you were measuring your blood sugar... perhaps I'm missing something here, but on good days my BSL is like 90-100. Perhaps you're using a different type of meter? Not questioning your accuracy or method, I just find that rather curious!
  • academical
    Options
    Perhaps it's as simple as the placement of a decimal... lol.
  • bbrwneyes
    bbrwneyes Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Do you mean your A1C? Wow, that is great! I've never heard of blood sugar levels, especially A1C dropping like that in a matter of a week
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    No matter what, you keep counting and losing weight, even on the days you know you're going to go over.
  • boston6
    boston6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My A1C went from 12.0 to 9.3 in 3 weeks and I was on METFORMIN and a strict low carb/sugar diet.
  • cindy11127
    Options
    In Europe and the UK, blood sugar levels are reported as mmol/L. A blood sugar level of 12.7mol/L is about 228 mg/dl in the US and a blood sugar of 8 is about 144 in the US.
  • academical
    Options
    Ah!!! A1C!!! *headdesk* How could I be so silly to forget that? My apologies!
  • gcobe
    gcobe Posts: 5
    Options
    i am using the english method which should be between 5-6. you are using the US method which and 100 fasting is great!
  • academical
    Options
    I see!!! Thank you for clarifying... was getting a little confused between BSL and A1C!!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    congratulations. Getting the blood sugar down is a big win. I'm a T2 diabetic and I've found that cutting out grains and other carbs has helped me vastly improve my numbers. In the last year I've gotten off both my insulin pump and metformin
  • staceyb00
    staceyb00 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When I stopped using artificial sweeteners my blood sugar levels went from the 300's to 100 and lower. I have dropped my insulin from 60 units a day to 15 units and it is still going too low! Within a week after stopping all artificial sweeteners it changed to normal levels.
  • sherisaid
    sherisaid Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Be careful about getting overly enthusiastic. My blood sugar was easy to control when I was diagnosed 10 years ago, but it's a nightmare now. Diabetes is a progressive disease. However, it sounds like you're doing everything right. Keep exercising and watch the processed carbs, and you may be lucky enough to avoid any escalation. Good luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!