Crystal Light Packets for water?

Options
OK! I've heard A LOT of controversy about adding the Crystal Light packets to water bottles... Is it OK?!?

Personally it makes me drink more water bc I'm just not used to drinking straight water! I love adding the fruit punch to my water bottles! It makes me drink it faster and more often! But I've heard that the artificial sweetners in it make it mad for you?!? Is this true?!? Is there something else I can do?!? I don't like the "flavored waters" that bottled water companies make... I'm pretty picky :)

HELP! Am I hurting myself in the long run my adding the flavor packets!?!

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    It's fine.
  • haeden
    haeden Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Just remember that those thing usually are ten calories. I say that if crystal light is the only way you will drink water then its better to be hydrated then to not drink it at all.Just remember to add all of those on ur diary because they do add up and hopefully you can start to ween yourself down to less :)
  • jillnemma
    jillnemma Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    there have been reports that artifical sweetners harm you, however it's in huge amounts....I mean stupid huge amounts. if it heps you get your water, do it
  • airycha
    airycha Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I would say it is better than getting no water.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    i use them
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I use it all the time. Mio is another good one with zero cals. I could get hit by a truck, break my neck falling down the stairs,... when my numbers up its up! I don't see diabetics dropping like flies because of the artificial sweeteners!
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    NO, this is like drinking gasoline!!! Crystal light IS THE DEVIL DRINK BEER INSTEAD!
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Personally, I find that consuming the overly sweet artificial sweeteners makes me crave more sweets in the long run. It also makes naturally sweet things like watermelon, and fresh, juicy georgia peaches much less satisfying. That said, I've never read any solid evidence that says they're bad for you so I think moderation would be the key. And just know that the further away from fake food you can get the better off you'll be in the long run!
  • EmilyQC
    EmilyQC Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    NO, this is like drinking gasoline!!! Crystal light IS THE DEVIL DRINK BEER INSTEAD!

hahahahahahahahhaha ROTFL!
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Some posts have said that artificial sweetners make you crave more sweets. Personally i haven't had that problem, if it wasn't for crystal light I would have been able to stop drinking soda. And since they came out with margarita mocktails I haven't had a real margarite in months, which is saving me LOTS of empty calories.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You're better off with some orange, lemon, or lime slices in a pitcher of water in the fridge (where you add it to your own water). You'll save $ and it's a natural solution to flavor your water. Plus, tap water in the US is actually tested on a regular basis (there's no regulation in place for bottled water and it's often filled with nasty stuff). The bottled water is also often bottled from municipal sources (will say it on the bottle if it is) so you're throwing away good $$ for city water.

Make up a pitcher of water with fresh fruit in it for flavor. That way you're not adding chemicals to your diet from the packets for the water bottles.
  • Onesnap
    Options

Word.
  • jme1282
    jme1282 Posts: 17
    Options
    I just picked up Crystal Light Pure which is made w/ Truvia and has zero preservatives or artificial flavors. I only found 2 flavors in my local Publix, but the others on their website sound good.

http://www.kraftbrands.com/crystallight/Pages/default.aspx#/pure-flavors
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think if it helps you to drink more water (which is very important) it's okay. They have aspartame artificial sweetener in them which I am not a fan of. But I like the cherry pomegranate and sometimes have one when I'm craving something sweet.

As an alternative I also use True Lemon, which is 100% natural and comes in powdered packets. (www.truelemon.com) They also have True Lime and True Orange but I have not yet tried them. I put one or two packets in a 23.7 oz bottle of water with a packet of either Spenda or Truvia. Yummy!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I use it all the time. Mio is another good one with zero cals. I could get hit by a truck, break my neck falling down the stairs,... when my numbers up its up! I don't see diabetics dropping like flies because of the artificial sweeteners!

True. However, if you are someone like me with a parent battling cancer you would do everything you could to cut out unnecessary chemicals (and harsh home cleaners) out of your environment. Every little bit helps.

And if artificial sweeteners are not safe for pregnant women, how are they safe for the rest of us?
  • angelar1022
    Options
    Thanks for all of the tips/advice/words of encouragement you guys! :) I honestly didn't even know that there were 10 calories in a packet of Crystal Light! Maybe that will help me not drink them as often! You guys are great!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I use them, and I don't count them. Just like I chew sugar free gum and don't count that. I know that many people on here count every little calorie, but I don't see a need to be that militant about it! Even if I have 2 crystal light packets and 10 sticks of gum a day (an extreme example that I don't think ever happens with me), that's only 70 calories, which I am sure is burned off with the shaking of the bottles and the chewing of the gum. :laugh:
  • angelar1022
    Options
    I use them, and I don't count them. Just like I chew sugar free gum and don't count that. I know that many people on here count every little calorie, but I don't see a need to be that militant about it! Even if I have 2 crystal light packets and 10 sticks of gum a day (an extreme example that I don't think ever happens with me), that's only 70 calories, which I am sure is burned off with the shaking of the bottles and the chewing of the gum. :laugh:

This made me laugh! Thanks for the advice! Sounds great to me!! :happy:
  • airycha
    airycha Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You're better off with some orange, lemon, or lime slices in a pitcher of water in the fridge (where you add it to your own water). You'll save $ and it's a natural solution to flavor your water. Plus, tap water in the US is actually tested on a regular basis (there's no regulation in place for bottled water and it's often filled with nasty stuff). The bottled water is also often bottled from municipal sources (will say it on the bottle if it is) so you're throwing away good $$ for city water.

Make up a pitcher of water with fresh fruit in it for flavor. That way you're not adding chemicals to your diet from the packets for the water bottles.

Some tap water isn't all that great. It's regulated but that doesn't mean it's within limits. Houston's water is gross and full of nasty.

http://www.ewg.org/tap-water/whatsinyourwater/TX/City-of-Houston-Public-Works-/1010013/
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I buy the box at Costco, one pack of those is perfect for a re-used 2 liter coke bottle. cheaper than diet soda, and the lemonade flavor makes good diet margaritas, just add a 2 shots of tequila and a shot of Cointreau, and a squeeze of a whole lime, top the glass off with the crystal light.