The end of Alzheimer’s (maybe)

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Maybe. Removing the cause of gum disease seems smarter than vaccinating against it, imo.

T3D seems like a plausible theory too. Plus if you remove refined and highly processed carbs (refined grains and sugars) you generally improve tooth/gum health along with reducing elevated insulin or bg levels, which could lead to inflammation. ;)

Think of it as an additionally converging line of evidence.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    It could also be related to Toxoplasma gondii, a brain parasite that about 1/4 of people have and is transmitted from cats. More on that here:
    https://blogs.cornell.edu/vetblog/2018/08/14/infection-with-toxoplasma-gondii-may-lead-to-alzheimers/
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    I can remember back to my great grandparents and no one in my family has had alzheimer's disease thank goodness. This doesn't mean that I and/or my children won't get it but maybe the hereditary factor has something to do with it? Anyway it is obviously a good thing to protect your gums and hopefully this terrible disease [for patient and family] can be obliterated eventually.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Dentures for everyone. Lol
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited January 2019
    I'm suspicious of these findings because about a month ago New Scientist reported that they had found the cause of Alzheimer's and it was the herpes virus. Which is it? The two proposed causes have in common that they are both infections - so possibly the real cause has to do with the brain's reaction to certain infections. It's worth further research, definitely.

My other reason for doubting that gingivitis is the answer is that at least in America, untreated gingivitis is strongly correlated with poverty, since almost no one poor has adequate dental care. And as far as I know Alzheimer's is not strongly correlated with poverty.

Edit: actually I just looked it up and I have to retract my second statement, since it turns out that Alzheimer's in America IS strongly linked to poverty. There are all kinds of proposed theories for this having to do with social connections blah blah blah but untreated tooth disease would make a lot more sense. It amazes me that the gingivitis researchers didn't ask this simple question.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    It won't stop the genetic form of Alzheimer's
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member

Unfortunately no. Alzheimer's runs on both sides of my family. I'm doing all I can to delay if not prevent it- exercise, vitamins and omega oils, produce, hobbies.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member

I don't know much about the subject... are you saying there are different types? Or, based on the article, could it just be a genetic susceptibility to this bacteria or other causal factors?

Like I say, I know nothing about it, but isn't the tau protein the same one involved in CTE?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited January 2019
    I'm not an expert but I saw a documentary on families who carry a genetic defect which causes early onset Alzheimer's to everyone who inherits the gene. They were part of a clinical study.

ETA: https://www.statnews.com/2016/04/12/alzheimers-disease-colombia/
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I'm not an expert but I saw a documentary on families who carry a genetic defect which causes early onset Alzheimer's to everyone who inherits the gene. They were part of a clinical study.

ETA: https://www.statnews.com/2016/04/12/alzheimers-disease-colombia/

Early onset seems to be basically genetically based. Later is different. I went to a talk by a scientist at U of Chicago who is involved in research and he said they'd found nothing credible re diet so far and the best advice for avoiding it was to be active/exercise.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    kimadm4 wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »

I don't know much about the subject... are you saying there are different types? Or, based on the article, could it just be a genetic susceptibility to this bacteria or other causal factors?

Like I say, I know nothing about it, but isn't the tau protein the same one involved in CTE?

Hi, Alzheimer’s researcher here. There are two types. The early onset type (caused by a genetic mutation on the presenillin genes) is very rare, and symptoms typically start in 40s. The other type is late onset (after 65) and the genetic determinants are not clearly defined.

The gingivitis and herpes causes are not proven and these studies are too preliminary (but you should still floss and take care of oral health!).

Yes the tau referred to is the same as that in CTE, but the way the tau distributes in the brain is different from Alzheimer’s.

@lemurcat2 is right that the strongest evidence for lifestyle preventions is exercise. Mediterranean diet is showing some good associations but not as strong as exercise.

Thank you- appreciate the concise answers :)