1 Week in to the Keto Diet, and 2 Days back on MFP

Options
I've been on MFP before. And did really good. Lost a total of 75 pounds. I lost my job, though, and depression set it, and then my dad died, and I just made excuse after excuse. Needless to say, I gained that 75 pounds back and then some.

I have started fresh though, because I'm sick of being unhealthy, overweight, put of breath... and I'm sick of being prescribed new medicines everytime I go to the doctor.

I want to get healthy and fit. I want to feel better. And I want off all my medicine. So... I've started the keto diet, with my doctor's approval. And I've been checking my sugar every few hours.

The first week has been really bad. I've almost given up... but I knew if I did, it would be just 1 more excuse. I've had a terrible case of what some call the "keto flu"... but it just kept getting worse and worse... so I went to the doctor... and I actually had a viral infection on top of that. So, as I said... it's been rough. But I've stuck it out. And so far, I've lost 11 pounds since last Thursday.

And I'm finally starting to feel better.

My birthday is a week from now... and im really wanting my 35th year to be the best and healthiest yet. So, I'm here to stay this time. I'm not giving up.

Sorry for the long post... but I just had to get it out... and maybe I will inspire someone else to push through the first week or so of the keto diet. It really is worth it. I can't wait to see where I go from here.

Replies

• michellehyatt544
    michellehyatt544 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi - thank you for sharing! I am just getting myself set up today and would appreciate any recipes or meal planning guidance:)! Good luck to you! WE got this!
  • BlondeButtercup127
    BlondeButtercup127 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Hey hey!! If you aren't already, get those electrolytes in!! Daily!!
    I've been following Keto since this past November 12 per my doctor as well, and as of this morning down 30 pounds. The first couple of weeks and even first 4 weeks were quite a struggle adjusting to the changes. If you have any questions or would like another keto buddy, feel free to add me. I still consider myself a newbie but, I've learned a lot these last 2 1/2 months. I still have about another 80 pounds to lose. Best of luck!!
  • worm1957
    worm1957 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I’m also on the Keto bandwagon as of Jan 13th and can’t seem to get the carb count below 20% most days. Otherwise I’m doing great and feeling great. I have lost 5-6 pounds so far. If anyone can help in getting carb %tage down and fat content up.
  • dillianavramov
    dillianavramov Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My story is quite similar to OP - losing 60 pounds on MFP, job burnout and job loss, "happy pills"... weight came back. Excuses and lack of willpower issues... Fast forward two years and I am back on MFP with keto and IF.

My 2 cents: For the keto flu - complete multivitamin (with food), Himalayan pink salt on everything, incl in water. A glass of water with apple cider vinegar and lemon juice in the morning. One Brazil nut per day for Selenium. Avocados or cream of tartar for potassium.

Worm1957: If carbs are in the neighborhood of 20% this is low carb, but nowhere near keto. Macadamia nuts, MCT oil, Kalamata olives or olive oil, coconut oil, ghee, eggs, bacon will be your buddies. Avocados are great, but eat no more than half, maybe one a day (they still have carbs). Count net carbs (carbs - fiber) - there is a browser plugin and a script to add net carbs to MFP. Carbs - some spinach, asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, chards, kale, cucumber, mushrooms