Hair care for gym folks

Options
How often do you wash your hair if you're doing sweaty workouts 5-6 times a week? I'm sure you can rinse in the shower but how often do you use a shampoo or hair product on it?

Are there any special shampoos for folks who complete daily workouts?

Just getting into the gym scene and sometimes I'll take two showers in a day - that can't be good for your hair if you're constantly putting shampoo on it.

May seem like a weird question but inquiring minds need to know...

Replies

• yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Not a weird question :o) I wash my hair as much as necessary and to combat the drying effects if I feel I"m washing to much I use a good conditioner every time. Even though I never thought about shampoo for people who workout, I did google just that and if you do the same you'll find a whole line that may suit you. Hope this helps you.

• kmfeig87
    kmfeig87 Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    I've got long hair, work out 5-6 times a week and usually wash my hair every other day (three times a week). On the non-wash days I'll sometimes rinse and condition and sometimes not. I don't sweat a ton and my hair isn't usually too sweaty. If I rinse, I always condition because otherwise it's a mess!
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You can try co-washing for every other wash (washing with conditioner only).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,476 Member
    Options
    I normally only use shampoo in one of the two showers, if two or more in one day, just water rinse (and maybe use conditioner) in the other.

If my hair seems to be getting too dry, I'll go to using shampoo every other day.

I'm not very hair-conscious, though: With my short, grey, curly, fine hair, it's going to return to its standard "frantic grey Q-tip" look as soon as it's dry anyway, no matter what I do to it (short of lacquer - just no ;) ).
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    My hair is long, down the middle of my back. Mine is 80% silver grey :cry: and the texture and strength of my hair now can't really stand every day washing even if I weren't sweating.

It ends up being washed 3-4 times a week and I spend time deep conditioning it on the days I do wash it. I use dry shampoo on alternate days I do not wash it.
  • Amaris_89
    Amaris_89 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I try to not wash my hair more than 3 times a week but use dry shampoo in between to freshen it up if I've worked out but not washed it. I find that I sweat more in my scalp when I do cardio so match my cardio days with my hair wash days where I can.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I wash mine every third day even with running multiple days a week because it's long, super thick, and prone to breakage if I wash too often. I use dry shampoo in between. But I don't get all that sweaty except in rare cases. (I did a boxing workout for an hour once that left me looking like I'd taken a swim in my clothes, hair was drenched- I washed it immediately.)
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Options
    I wash my hair every day. Only once.

If i workout in the morning i dont wash it until after my workout. If its an afternoon workout and im home that day i dont wash it until after i workout.

When im at work i wash my hair in the morning and my workouts are on my lunch hour. So i only have time time to shower from the neck down. These are my lifting days and dont get super sweaty.

• deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I shampoo every other day. I'll shower and just avoid getting my hair wet at all if it's not a shampoo day. I don't use any product; just blow dry and flat iron on shampoo days.

I get MORE compliments on my hair on my non-wash days. Weird.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    I have short hair (chin length). I wash my hair after every run, so 5-6 days a week. I just use Pert. No products or special conditioners.
  • carlaringuette
    carlaringuette Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks ya'll!
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Everyday!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I rinse and condition every day, but only shampoo 2x week.