Canned Vegetables and Sodium

Options
I know that Canned veggie are packed with sodium to help preserve them but I always rinse my canned veggies 2x before cooking? Does anyone know that by doing this if it lowers the sodium? thoughts?

Replies

• byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I am not sure. I would think it lowers the sodium a little, but in my opinion, it would be better to just buy frozen veggies.
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have wondered that too! I just buy the 'no salt added' varieties...
  • yungoe
    yungoe Posts: 8
    Options
    I agree with byHISstrength. Canning is old technology that predates refrigeration (not that it is bad, I still want to know how to do it). But frozen is going to be a lot better for you overall.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't help because the veg is packed in the stuff for shelf stability. The sodium is in the food not just on the surface where rinsing would help. I'd rather buy frozen than canned. A better tip is whenever you see a big batch on sale at the market, buy and bring it home and sort into freezer bags. This is really helpful if you shop end of day at a farmer's market or off the quick sale bins at the super market.
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I heard it lowers the salt by 40%. If you enter it into the database and say it is "drained" the sodium will be lower.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    You are better off buying fresh or frozen veggies.
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    might reduce a little .......but not a great deal
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Screw the sodium. The chemicals that are in the can and on your veggies are way worse. Try Fresh or frozen. It is not much more work and can be cheaper. Send me a message if you want some recipes. I have tons.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes it does, but I don't know by how much. It would probably vary depending on the vegetable. I'm sure some would absorb more than others.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002095.htm

Actually Canned veggies are usually canned very quickly so they retain a ton of vitamins. frozen can will but having worked in the shipping business I can tell you that sometimes things get unfrozen and then re-frozen which saps vitamins. Canned foods with tons of salt is old technology, they do it way different now. basically eating some canned is not bad, just rinse like you are doing. Fresh is always best.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You are better off buying fresh or frozen veggies.

This is true for most veggies. But I use canned beans a lot because I'm just not a plan ahead type of person, and other than immature limas, I've never seen frozen dried beans.
  • MsCandyLynn
    Options
    I would love to do fozen vegetable however i have to feed my family and none of them will eat them at all so if im going to make sure my family gets any kind of vegetable in their diet canned it is!!!
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how much it will reduce the sodium. But, you could buy the canned ones that say "no salt added" or "reduced sodium." That's what I do every week if I can't get fresh ones.