Extra calories earned?

My goal is 1,400 cal, I workout and I earn extra calories. (see pic) do I consume all those extra calories? Will I still loose a lb a week? as that is how my settings are. I don't want to over eat. But I also want to make sure my body is getting what it needs. If I am hungry I will eat.
xe7uhb8jkkk8.png

Replies

• Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Yes, MFP is set up for you to eat back any calories you burn through exercise.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    all you can do is eat all of them back for say a month or so and see what happens. what are you doing for exercise that you burn 800+ calories?
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    yes eat them. sometimes they over estimate calories burned so you can chose to eat 50-60% but eat at least some back, this is how MFP is set up. the 1400 is to lose the requested rate of loss WITHOUT purposeful exercise.

here is an explanation
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation/p1
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    My goal is 1,400 cal, I workout and I earn extra calories. (see pic) do I consume all those extra calories? Will I still loose a lb a week? as that is how my settings are. I don't want to over eat. But I also want to make sure my body is getting what it needs. If I am hungry I will eat.
    xe7uhb8jkkk8.png

How long have you been logging, OP? Is it typical for you to have this many calories added for exercise? Are you syncing a fitness tracker to mfp?

The reason I ask...I sync my Fitbit to mfp. Initially I set my activity level to “lightly active,” but I found I was getting a LOT of extra calories from my Fitbit sync, which made planning my day, food-wise, kind of tricky. When I changed my level to “very active,” it ended up being a lot closer/easier to plan. Just a thought.
  • winkwink8487
    winkwink8487 Posts: 4 Member
    Yes i have it synced with a traker and lightly active
  • witchaywoman81
    Yes i have it synced with a traker and lightly active

Ok, great! Do you typically get this many extra calories? Do you have negative calorie adjustments enabled? If the answer to both of these questions is “yes,” you might consider bumping yourself up to “active” or even “very active.”
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    800+ calories is a lot of exercise. The idea of eating back is, that you have the energy to continue your fitness journey. For myself, I can workout hard, and then I will rip the fridge door off the hinges.. My programs are around 4 weeks, and I couldn't get through without the food. I have to add, though, that I'm still not trying to lose pounds on the bathroom scale. I'm working on lowering overall bodyfat, and it still works with eating back.
  • witchaywoman81
    OP said she’s syncing her Fitbit to mfp, so the 800 aren’t necessarily strictly “exercise calories.” It looks to me like, as I said above, her everyday activity setting is too conservative.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    The whole reason you exercise(for weight loss) is to create that deficit and 800 is not necessarily Alot of calories burned it’s decent but definitely not unheard of. If you walk your 10k steps you’ll get like 300-400 but if I ride my bike like 40 miles I can easily burn 1800+ depending on speed and conditions a friend of mine burns probably 7k+ a day because he’s insane. I wasn’t saying people should starve themselves but you if you’re not hungry there’s no reason to eat just because they’re there. I logged my meals for almost 600days straight and went from 340lbs to 197lbs without starving myself. Why would anyone want to do all that work just to put those calories back in your body just because they’re there. I’ve also read that link before and I know how they say it’s designed but if I followed what you’re telling me I would have been consuming over 4000 calories a day on most days and there’s no way I would have lost any weight doing that.

weight is lost in a calorie defict without exercise. if you exercise you make that deficit and if someone is burning 7000 calories a day(somehow I find this to be a bit farfetched) and only eating 2500 calories they are starving their bodies. the yare netting negative calories. your body burns so many calories a day just by being alive, you lost a lot of weight because you were losing 1.6 lbs a week which is a deficit of about 800 calories per day.

which if you rode and burned 1800 calories you would have an even bigger deficit if you didnt eat calories back which means more weight lost would have happened. when you dont eat enough your body will burn fat,lean mass and muscle(which includes organs). not to mention the health issues that can cause when not eating enough calories.

when you input your calories here your deficit is built in WITHOUT exercise which is why you are supposed to eat them back. now if someone did a TDEE calculator for calories your exercise level/activity is added into the equation and those you dont eat back. as for eating 4000 calories we dont know what your activity level is,height or weight,age, what you set mfp to lose per week and so on. then we could tell you if the numbers add up or not.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    @Duck_Puddle preach it, preach it :) or should I just say Amen :)
  • witchaywoman81
    The whole reason you exercise(for weight loss) is to create that deficit...

This would make sense if mfp gave you your maintenance calories and expected you to create the deficit with exercise, but mfp builds it in for you.

For example, say I want to lose 1 pound per week. Mfp gives me 1800 calories/day, assuming I’ll burn about 2300 calories/day. I said I want to lose 1 pound per week and no more than that for health and satiety. Now, my Fitbit tells me I’ve actually burned 2500 calories, so mfp gives me an “extra” 200/day. You bet I’m going to eat those.
  • elvisdejesus617
    elvisdejesus617 Posts: 1 Member
    Im new to fitbit mines said I earned 975 calories and then disappeared off my fitness pal app.