Too much protein??

Options
Hi everyone!

I've been staying within my calorie goal but I've noticed that on a few days, I have gone over the protein total. I don't think it's excessive but on my highest day, I was -17 on the protein count. Is eating too much protein a bad thing? How does that actually affect someone negatively?

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    MFP sets VERY LOW nutrition goals as the defaults. If you're going by the MFP goal, you're most definitely not getting too much (same with fiber).
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I dont even care about the protein levels, no one ever got fat from too much protein. I always go over by like 30 pts haha
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein way too low and carbs too high. Try going for 40% 30% 30% (c/p/f). Just go to goals/ change goals/custom and make the changes there :)
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    As long as you are exercising you aren’t hurting your kidney…, the organ that processes protein. I’m a kidney donor & I exceed the MFP limits all the time, but I am also a runner. (they balance each other out) My kidney dietician is ok with my eating choices.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I dont even care about the protein levels, no one ever got fat from too much protein. I always go over by like 30 pts haha

Protein has calories, so yes, you can get fat from too much protein if you're eating too much overall.

Anyway, the body can only process a certain amount of protein (no matter how much you work out). The rest turns into fat or is filtered out through the liver and kidneys, which can be bad. But like I said, MFP levels are ridiculously low.
  • lind3400
    Options

Protein has calories, so yes, you can get fat from too much protein if you're eating too much overall.

Anyway, the body can only process a certain amount of protein (no matter how much you work out). The rest turns into fat or is filtered out through the liver and kidneys, which can be bad. But like I said, MFP levels are ridiculously low.

Yeh but I naturally assume all people on this site are working out too....so the protein is helping them make muscle...therefore not a bad thing
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I usually go over on Protein and fiber. Like a pp said, MFP sets the protein too low. Even at 40/30/30, my protein intake is set at 66 and I almost always go over that.
  • rml_16
    Options

Yeh but I naturally assume all people on this site are working out too....so the protein is helping them make muscle...therefore not a bad thing

Why would you assume that? A lot of people don't work out, or work out at very low levels.

Either way, the body only processes so much protein to store as muscle, no matter how much you're working out. You CAN get fat from too much protein, as you can with too much of anything.
  • lind3400
    Options

Why would you assume that? A lot of people don't work out, or work out at very low levels.

Either way, the body only processes so much protein to store as muscle, no matter how much you're working out. You CAN get fat from too much protein, as you can with too much of anything.

Can I see ur PHD please?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Can I see ur PHD please?

You don't need a phd to know that. As long as you're at or under your daily cal limit then too much protein isn't horrible (better than too much carbs). But if it pushes you over your daily cal limit, then yes you can gain weight.
  • rml_16
    Options

Can I see ur PHD please?
    I'm not going to argue a fact with you. I'll just leave you with The Cleveland Clinic's take on it, which as a premier health facility full of researchers with MDs, Ph.D.s (this is the correct spelling, by the way) and other degrees should be good enough: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/sports_health/nutrition/protein.aspx
  • Robertlawnicki
    Robertlawnicki Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What are the points you all are talking about ? Are they grams of protein?
    I have been on a 50-25-25 plan for the last 10 weeks, is there a problem with this plan ?
    I think I got the correct calculations for this plan but I am now not sure. Can any ony tell me what the correct
    formula is ?
  • rml_16
    Options
    What are the points you all are talking about ? Are they grams of protein?
    I have been on a 50-25-25 plan for the last 10 weeks, is there a problem with this plan ?
    I think I got the correct calculations for this plan but I am now not sure. Can any ony tell me what the correct
    formula is ?

They're talking about percentages of total calories.
  • kaitoula
    kaitoula Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm very new to this so I'm still figuring things out. When I entered all my personal information and my goals, MFP calculated that I should be eating 45 gms of protein per day. I've been eating an average of 50-60 so I'm not way off but I was just curious why too much would be bad. I guess as long as I maintain a healthy balance of eating and exericising, I shouldn't be worried about this. It looks like I'm not the only one going over the suggested amount.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Unless you're extremely tiny, 45 is very low. I don't know where MFP comes up with its numbers for things like protein and fiber (it recommends I get 14 grams of fiber per day, but the guideline is a minimum 25 grams per day). I always go over fiber. Not so much protein, but that's because I'm vegetarian and it's tougher to get a lot of protein without eating meat.

50-60 is a perfectly healthy amount. You could exceed that by quite a bit and still be in the healthy, safe range.
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    To reaffirm the above, yes, Protein has calories. I'll explain what the ratios mean using myself as a Guinea pig. I am on a 40/40/20 + 20% diet, which puts my total caloric intake just shy of 2,500.

Carbs = 4 calories
    Protein = 4 calories
    Fat = 9 calories

Maintenance: 2040 + 20%: 408; total caloric intake daily: 2448

Breakdown per day:

245 grams Carbs
    245 grams Protein
    54 grams Fat

equals out to...

Carbs = 980 calories
    Protein = 980 calories
    Fat = 486 calories
  • Robertlawnicki
    Robertlawnicki Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    How did you pick a 40-40-20 plan?
  • meganbrady
    Options
    I am not eating enough proten for my diet, what can i eat that is more protein and less and fat?
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options

Can I see ur PHD please?
    I'm not going to argue a fact with you. I'll just leave you with The Cleveland Clinic's take on it, which as a premier health facility full of researchers with MDs, Ph.D.s (this is the correct spelling, by the way) and other degrees should be good enough: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/sports_health/nutrition/protein.aspx

You are taking her comments out of context. Also, you're not exactly taking a position that is diametrically opposed to what she is saying. She is making a reference to a lot of protein. You are making a reference to a lot of protein which leads to excess calories. Not exactly the same thing....
  • kaitoula
    kaitoula Posts: 16
    Options
    Many thanks to everyone for the explanations. They were very helpful!