I want to start strength training but I have no idea where to start

I recently started going to the gym. I’ve only been doing cardio, just about an hour thirty everyday. I want to start strength training because I hear it has greater benefits but I really am unsure where to start and I guess I’m a little more comfortable on the machines.

I haven’t really ever lifted weights, so... Any advice for a complete beginner?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited January 2019
    Pick a beginners program and if your gym offers a free session with a personal trainer use it to help you with form.
    This thread has a list of good programs:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Alan Thrall has some really good youtube videos for how to do certain lifts. These are just a few:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs_Ej32IYgo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYREQkVtvEc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYKScL2sgCs
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    hunnymoons wrote: »
    I recently started going to the gym. I’ve only been doing cardio, just about an hour thirty everyday. I want to start strength training because I hear it has greater benefits but I really am unsure where to start and I guess I’m a little more comfortable on the machines.

Can you afford a personal trainer? If so, I would seriously consider it as they will direct you and show you correct form etc. A PT will also give a program.

If not, the interwebs has a plethora of videos on beginner strength trainer.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Lifting doesn't have better benefits than cardio, just different ones. They're both very healthy. Both have a role to play in all kinds of things from life being easier to looking better. So don't give the cardio up.

What you don't want to do when you start lifting if do this machine and that one, and that weird exercise the giant dude in the corner is doing. Lot of people will recommend following a program (Strong Curves, Nerd Fitness, Convict Conditioning, whatever) because they're balanced. If you just randomly build some muscles and neglect others, that can set up up for soreness and injuries.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Your gym should show you how to use the Machine for free for safety Or Best if you can pay for a Personal Trainer even for to days and tell them to show you how to use all the machines and ask what part of the body it works and if they can see if you are using the machine in the right way. you may want to ask for the cost.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2019

There's a structured list of exercises in this article using gym machines.

For optimal fitness, continue with your cardio and add strength training to your gym routine. Most machines have instructions on how to use them ON the machine. Most gyms have staff who should be able to give you at least a rudimentary introductory tour of the equipment.

As you progress with your fitness, you can add more sets and reps while increasing the weight you use with the machine

Looking further into the future, you might want to look into free weights, and hopefully by then you'll be more comfortable in the weights section of the gym.
  • Bend_and_sway
    Bend_and_sway Posts: 22 Member
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/powerful_workout_exercises.html

This a good article talking about the benefits of compounds lifts. There are a gob of videos that can teach you about form. Just keep the weight light until you master the form and then go from there. Put on headphones and head over to the free weights and just mind your routine and ignore the other folks!

Good Luck -- peace!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited January 2019

Every gym I've ever joined has given me 1-3 sessions with a personal trainer with membership. Many have also had small group classes with a PT for free or very low cost.

If neither of these options are available to you, it will be a good investment to pay for a few sessions with a trainer who can help you with form and to devise a routine.