Why should I use a HRM and what kind is recommended?

What is the reason and benefit of using a heart rate monitor, do you wear it only when exercising, and what features should I look for? Brand recommendations?

Replies

• demonNIИ
    demonNIИ Posts: 187
    Polar
  • fitaliciag
    fitaliciag Posts: 373
    get one with a chest strap. it tells you when you are in the correct range, helps you gauge your intensity and track calories burned. great investment, i use mine everyday!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    The biggest benefit is that it allows you to know exactly how hard you're working. You can then apply this knowledge to your various training goals. A lot of people use them to get a more accurate burned-calorie reading during their exercise.

I personally think that the Polar F4 is the best starting HRM. It's about $70, age/weight/sex programable, and will tell you your heart rate and calories burned without costing a fortune. If you use it a lot and decide to get a new one you can then upgrade to a more pricey one with more features.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    A heart rate monitor with a chest strap takes into account age, gender and weight, then monitors your heart trate during exercise, sending the data to a watch that tracks your activity level and number of calories burned.

It's the most accurate way to know how many calories you've burned.

Polar is the best brand. What kind of Polar you get (cheap to $$$$$$) depends on what features you want. I have the most basic and it works fine for my needs.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Using a HRM is the most accurate measure of how many calories you're burning during your workouts. I wear mine all the time, but because it's a watch as well. The only features I actually use on mine are the watch and the calorie counter, but mine also has a timer and a countdown clock and probably some other stuff as well. It really depends on what you're going to use it for. A lot of people really love the Polar HRMs. I personally don't have that kind of cash, so I went to Kmart and got a Sportline for $30.
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 694 Member
    HRM give you the most accurate calorie burns.....usually you need one with a chest strap, unless you are mainly walking or doing exercise that doesnt involve any bouncing around. The wrist only type arent very good if you are running or biking. I use a Timex Ironman Road Trainer with the chest strap (around $55 on amazon) it gives calories and min, average and max heart rates....it also tells you how long you stay in your target HR zone. I love it and found it way more accurate then what MFP gives you for calories.
  • rvsmith15
    rvsmith15 Posts: 1 Member
    I LOVE using a HRM to see how many calories I burn and how long I'm in my "zone". It's helpful to see the numbers to show you are pushing yourself as hard as you can. I have the Timex Ironman - 50 mm lap. When I work out with my friends they always want to see how many calories I burn. Plus you can see if you HR is getting high enough or if it is getting too high which can lead to other problems.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    I love my HRM =]]]

POLAR FT4 is awesome and has the best ratings go to amazon it's super cheap there!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Most people use an HRM so that they have a more accurate calorie estimation because the machines at the gym and MFP tend to be off by quite a bit.

Not all HRM's are created equal though.. those with a chest strap, and certain brands will be more accurate at estimating calories.

I personally have a Polar FT7 which I love.. easy to use/set up. The Polar FT4 is also a popular option.. its a bit cheaper than the FT7, but it still gets the job done.

Ones like TImex and Sportline tend not to be as accurate, so I'd recommend staying way from those.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Using a HRM during exercise is the most accurate measurement of calories you are burning during exercise.

That being said, I lost 60lbs and I've NEVER used a HRM. I used the machines at the gym and I did just fine. I don't think it is an absolute necessity (especially if you just can't work it into your budget). As long as you are working out and watching your calories - you'll be just fine. I'm proof that you don't need one to be successful (heck, I lost 55 of my 60lbs not even using this website, counting calories, etc... I simply ate less, ate better, watched my serving sizes and I worked out... I did just fine. :)
  • H2Ologist
    H2Ologist Posts: 122 Member
    It is a wake-up call for how many calories you REALLY burn. The database is OK, but this gives incentive to get in your target range.

This is the one I have and it is pretty nice.
    http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Womens-Heart-Monitor-Bronze/dp/B001U0OFD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314035736&sr=8-1
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    It will accurately measure calories burned during exercise. It's also a cheap and objective way way to measure the intensity of your exercise. The features you look for depend on which type of exercise you plan to do with it. Manufacturers make general ones and ones geared for different sports (i.e. running, cycling, etc...). If you work out with any kind of exercise bikes or treadmills, see if the machines integrate with a HRM, and if so, which brand. Polar is very popular, but cheaper, generic ones are out there that work great, too. You can go to Polar's website to compare various models to give you an idea of what is available.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Polar with a chest strap. Just bought mine today and freakin' love it!
  • kypin00
    kypin00 Posts: 9 Member
    Agree with other users, it depends on what you're using it for. 1 thing nobody has yet mentioned is that training in specific zones can actually help you to burn calories for efficiently while maintaining a healthy life style and also to reduce injury. You don't have to train in the highest HR zones to get the best results. I normally train in zone 2 for my age/sex which is about 150 while running. Though that sounds fairly low, when I'm running that equals about a 9 1/2 minute mile pace for me over a distance, say 4 miles. If you're interested in running/biking I would recommend the Garmin with GPS as you can actually start anywhere and if you want to go 4 miles that day, you don't have to map it out before hand, just turn the watch on and go, hit your halfway point (say 2 miles) and turn around and go back.

I personally use the Garmin 305, while it's like a laptop on your wrist, you get a ton of information that you can upload to your PC and look at your routes, calories burned, time and miles for each activity.

I also wear my HRM when I do Yoga with my wife, so I can put in the correct number of calories for that exercise. Depending on how hard you work in your exercise, you might burn more, or less, than this site is showing
  • pleasepleaseno
    pleasepleaseno Posts: 166 Member
    But do you only use it when you workout or do you use it all day and see at the end how many calories you burned?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    But do you only use it when you workout or do you use it all day and see at the end how many calories you burned?

Only when you work out. Unless you have something like a BodyBugg, which is designed to track calories all day.
  • momcindy
    momcindy Posts: 194 Member
    Thank you for the helpful info!
  • I use Polar ft60 ..the best investment of my life!!!