Night snacking...

Options
Just wondering how people avoid being hungry hours after dinner and don’t snack? I eat dinner at roughly 5:30 and by 8:30 I’m incredibly hungry and end up eating again... which makes losing weight difficult... any advice??

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I try to save 100-250 cals for an after dinner snack. When I don't manage to, I'll have a cup of tea and a square of dark chocolate

Make sure your calorie goal isn't too aggressive, you shouldn't be "incredibly hungry" if you've eaten all your calories.

Also look back over your log and see if any of your macros are consistently low. Bringing any stragglers up to speed can help you feel more satiated
  • tdlntrpze
    tdlntrpze Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I drink a cup of bone broth with turmeric. Curbs the munchie gene without significantly adding to calorie counts. Also boosts my protein numbers.
  • Mike1804
    Mike1804 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've been saving room in my calorie allocation for my new evening snack obsession ... 1/2c plain greek yogurt with 1T of PBFit (powdered peanut butter) and a little sweetener. YUM!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I prelog 200-300 calories for something every evening before bed.
  • MamaKL5
    MamaKL5 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't get home from work until 8:30, and my dinner break is at 5, so I'm usually hungry when I get home. I just make sure I have some calories left to have a snack. Or, I go over my allowance a bit and try not to worry about it.
  • tiffyork
    tiffyork Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm a night time snacker so I tend to save my workouts for after dinner. It keeps me away from snacks. For me, I realized I'm not even hungry, I'm just bored. If you're one of those people who can't work out at night, try just going for a walk or keep yourself busy with some other activity.
  • iSneakers
    iSneakers Posts: 90 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I eat something with 5 to 10 grams of protein in it an hour before bedtime daily and never gain weight from it. Save a little calories for a small snack at the end of your day and you’ll be fine.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    dont buy stuff youre tempted to snack on, or eat a little later.. go to bed earlier? save room in calories for an after dinner snack?

we eat around 530 most nights. but we also go to bed around 8/9, and are generally asleep by 10. we also get up at zero dark thirty every day. lol
  • GuyanaGold21
    GuyanaGold21 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I prelog my dessert calories and eat it midway between dinner and bedtime. Probably not the best way to lose weight, but it has helped keep me on program and not feel deprived. So far I'm losing at the rate I want to, which is about 1 pound per week. Since weight loss (then maintenance) will always be part of my life, I figured I had to find a way that worked for me long term.
  • rkcampbell
    rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I pre-Log my entire day and make sure to save some calories for an evening snack. I know my body will be hungry so I plan ahead for it! Nothing wrong with that!
  • rocks1307
    rocks1307 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your eating enough, make sure you get enough protein. l like sees butterscotch suckers for dessert, under 100 calories and last about a half hour for me. Another trick is to brush/floss teeth, so you will not want to eat with a clean and fresh mouth.