Best shoes for aerobics

Options
I mainly do aerobics in my living room. Right now I am wearing New Balance toning shoes. But the balls of my feet are starting to hurt. What type of shoes would be best for aerobics?

Replies

• NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have running/walking shoes now and I know they're not the correct ones for me. (I mostly do Zumba, bike riding, and walking.)

That's a great question! I'd love to hear what everyone else wears/recommends!
  • cristina_marie
    Options
    bump
  • missolesky
    Options
    When I exercise indoors I'm always barefoot, my feet never hurt afterwards and I'm always balanced and comfortable
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think cross trainers
  • JonoK
    JonoK Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    See, I've tried barefoot and cross trainers. I use cross trainers for the most part, but the pads on my big toes kill. Mainly it's all the sets where you have to widen your stance or support yourself with your feet spread apart. Interested to hear what others have to say.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    The best shoes for you will properly fit your feet and support your arch (high or low). I have high arches and the brand that works best for me is Nike. There are shoes specifically for aerobics, and running, and walking. If you don't have enough money to buy multiple pairs of shoes, your best bet is probably running shoes. A good shoe store should have someone who is qualified to help you choose the right shoe for your feet - these are probably not going to be the mall shoe stores!
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Go barefoot for sure! When you go shoeless, you are strengthening your foot and will be less prone to injuries.

http://www.quickswood.com/my_weblog/2006/08/athletic_footwe.html
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    When I exercise indoors I'm always barefoot, my feet never hurt afterwards and I'm always balanced and comfortable

I do my indoor work outs barefoot as well. As for outside or gym, I like Asics. They are super light and super comfortable..
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I mainly do aerobics in my living room. Right now I am wearing New Balance toning shoes. But the balls of my feet are starting to hurt. What type of shoes would be best for aerobics?

You want a cross trainer. They're becoming a little harder to find these days because people come in and say "I want a running shoe" and some 16 year old, who doesn't know any better, puts them in a shoe built for running. In your case, a true running shoe would not provide the support that you need for aerobics. Truth be told it's a wonder that there aren't 5,000 cross trainers out there because 9 times out of 10, unless you are actually running, what you need is a cross trainer. They are the pefect shoe for a multitude of sports and activities because they provide support but are still flexible enough to do a bit of walking or running in (great for such sports as floor hockey, badminton, etc), they're lighter than basketball shoes and are built to be both an indoor and outdoor shoe!! My suggestion is to do a bit of homework on brand websites (I recommend NB as they have the best selection of sizes and fits) and find one that is supportive, cushioned and has some flexibility then either order online, or better yet, go into a large sports store and ask for the specific shoe that you found best suited your needs. Always have at least 1 backup as different shoes fit differently. Go late in the day and try both shoes on and remember to buy shoes that fit properly, shoes that are too big will slip and cause rubbing and blistering and shoes that are too small/narrow will just be plain uncomfortable. You want your shoes, best case scenerio, to fit like a glove or in this case a well supported sock, fitted but still comfortable.
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    See, I've tried barefoot and cross trainers. I use cross trainers for the most part, but the pads on my big toes kill. Mainly it's all the sets where you have to widen your stance or support yourself with your feet spread apart. Interested to hear what others have to say.

The pad on your big toe you say...both of them or just one?
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I really like Nike with the springy soles. They are around $100. at Footlocker, they are a running shoe. I also like Reebok easy tone they have an extra cushioning under the balls of your feet. I only spent $40 on those at Big 5
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

This is not always a good idea, depending on what you are doing and whether you have carpet. My daughter found out the hard way that barefoot Zumba on carpet = nasty rug burns on your feet.
  • Roxie65
    Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Ryka has a selection of aerobic shoes you can look on zappos at different brands and what they are used for.
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    I found some tennis shoes that give me great support. I tend to walk on the outside of my feet and these shoes are great for keeping my foot upright. I got K Swiss Uproar IV. I think I want to go back and get some walking shoes too. Thank you everyone for giving me ideas.