Quiting Smoking

Options
I've always had the mentality of I'd rather smoke than gain weight. Or, I'd rather lose the weight first then worry about quitting smoking. Thing is, it all goes hand in hand. So, here I am 100lbs down, 60lbs to go and I'm going to give up smoking. I have a million reasons why I should and a million reason why I shouldnt. Thing is, it's time.

Replies

• rcp916
    rcp916 Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    You don’t have any good reasons why you shouldn’t quit! That being said neither do I! I’m on day 2 of my quit I been a smoker for 25 years, pack a day. I’ve lost 65lbs since July 8,2019 and I’m going to try hard to stay quit!! Good luck to you girl!!!
  • snowdemon75
    snowdemon75 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you I’m now day 14 smoke free it’s been really hard but I found exercising helped with some of the cravings
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking for good 7 years ago now. It was probably the best thing I've ever done for my health. You can do this!
  • rdes1970
    rdes1970 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I understand where you’re coming from. I was reluctant to give up smoking as I was scared of weight gain. However I’ve just celebrated five years of being smoke free. Yes I gained six pounds over the last five years but that is down to heavy weight lifting. Waist and hips are actually smaller now. The best thing I ever did!
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    Good quit that ish. Good luck.
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I've been cigarette free for a year now and even though I've put some weight on [which I am now losing] it really is the best thing I've done for myself [and my partner who never smoked].

Go for it love....very best of luck :)
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I did it! But I quit first and then lost the weight. I used cravings and the "I'm missing something" feeling to my advantage and cleaned my house and started new projects I'd been putting off. I have to be honest though; I gave myself exactly one month after quitting to eat whatever I wanted when I wanted to. At the end of that month I started my new lifestyle. I also used patches for twice the amount of time on the package...just to ease myself off them slowly. I have been a quitter for about 4 years now, I'm saving tons of money and I'm down over 80 pounds.
    It CAN be done, just be honest with yourself, cheating only cheats yourself out of a future.
    Good luck!
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I put on 20 pounds when I quit smoking BUT then I started running and lost it. I'm not lying....it was like those commercials on tv lol. I just felt so much healthier that I wanted, no needed, to exercise. Running felt amazing with clear lungs.
  • KerrieA87
    KerrieA87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I’m nearly 5 years as a non-smoker, just make sure you find something to do with your hands other than eating and you shouldn’t gain weight
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Using excuses to keep bad habits is really self-defeating. Quit that. Love you. Help you.
  • labtech666
    labtech666 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I quit 12 days ago. I keep wanting to eat instead but am doing ok by having a big drink of water and going for a quick walk to take my mind off it.
  • AprilFlowersinPA1
    Options
    Another quitter here. Congratulations on doing something wonderful for yourself. I quit two years ago and I gained about eight pounds which I’m trying to lose now.

I remember smoking instead of eating and yes it was a way to keep weight off but ... I won’t even list all the awful side effects! Crazy thinking is what it was.

You can do this and you’ll feel so much better physically and mentally. I never heard someone say they regretted quitting.