Please help me.

Options
I'm a 5'3" female at 175 lbs. Started at 185 lbs. Still obese, just barely. I'm fairly active as I work out 5 days a week - 3 days of weights and 2 days of cardio.

I lost those 10 lbs eating about 18-1,900 cal the whole time, and dropped about a pound per week. Meaning at least when I started, my TDEE was around 23-2,400 cal. I know that seems high, but the evidence is there.

All was going well until this month. I went through a couple weeks of severe stress and stopped losing weight despite continuing to eat under 2,000 calories and exercising. Then on top of not losing weight, I developed this excessive hunger. Like, eat a person level hunger. As I type this I'm laying in bed at 1 AM frustrated to all hell because I've eaten over 2,400 calories today and I'm still unable to sleep because my stomach is growling like I've been starving to death and if I don't eat right now I'll die.

I don't understand how. I've been eating around 24-2,500 + calories this past week and yet I'm constantly starving. My macros are PERFECT. It's not like I'm eating tons of carbs and sugar that aren't sustaining me. I eat plenty of satisfying meals throughout the day.

There is no way in hell I need this many calories and I've already started to gain back a pound or two. So what the hell gives?

Note: I've also been to the doctors a few times in the past couple years, had blood work done; no thyroid issues, not diabetic, nada.

I'm feeling so defeated like I'm doomed to regain and stay fat forever if I can't stop eating!

The other night about a week ago this happened, I tried to tough it out. Finally fell asleep. And then woke up around 2 AM dizzy, confused, and stumbling around in a hypoglycemic attack.

Please help.

ALSO!

This isn't the first time this has happened to me. It comes in boughts and started ever since I was just a teenager. It happened to me an adult a couple of years ago too, and every time it seems like it stops happening after a few weeks. Ya know, once I've regained all the weight. It's bizarre and I'm sick of it!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    have you seen your doctor about it?

can you open your diary?
  • ThrivingSpirit
    ThrivingSpirit Posts: 12 Member
    Options

can you open your diary?

I don't want to make my diary public bc it led to someone harassing me about being a vegetarian before.

But I can guarantee you my macros are perfect (seriously), I get over 100g protein, I'm not undereating, I don't go crazy on carbs etc.

Yes as I said I've been to the dr.
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hmm can't really help without seeing your diary. My advice would be to make sure you're getting enough fiber to feel full and also with that amount of protein and lifting weights you may be losing body fat and gaining muscle.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

can you open your diary?

I don't want to make my diary public bc it led to someone harassing me about being a vegetarian before.

But I can guarantee you my macros are perfect (seriously), I get over 100g protein, I'm not undereating, I don't go crazy on carbs etc.

Yes as I said I've been to the dr.

sorry, didn't see that about the docs.

cant really offer anything else, sorry.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    39flavours wrote: »
    Hmm can't really help without seeing your diary. My advice would be to make sure you're getting enough fiber to feel full and also with that amount of protein and lifting weights you may be losing body fat and gaining muscle.

fat keeps me full as well.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Went to the doctor a few times in the past couple of years, but what about recently? Do you also get regular checkups with your 'female' doctor?

Hypoglycemia attacks are nothing to take lightly. When you exhaust all efforts to find balance working with diet and exercise its time to go back to OR find a doctor that will give you the right tests to find what is wrong.
  • Je55ica_79
    Je55ica_79 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    How often do you eat? Maybe you would benefit to breaking up your meals more and spreading them through out the day.

• mariececilia10
    mariececilia10 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I know for some people exercise increases appetite, but intense cardio usually somewhat suppresses mine. Days I do intense cardio are easier for me to stick to a calorie budget so maybe you could try incorporating more into your routine and see whether it hurts or helps.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I am going to jump on the see a doctor bandwagon as well. If something suddenly changes in how you feel you need to rule out a medical reason.

In the meantime:

Compare your diary from a day you struggled to a day in the past where you got through the day without problems. If they are different try to replicate the day from your past and test the results. If you struggle try replicating a few other days. This will give you some additional data for yourself and the doctor.

You can also try eating less food more often or more food less often and/or at different times. I always skip breakfast because it makes me hungrier the rest of the day. I then proceed to eat 85-90 percent of my calories at lunch and the rest is basically a snack for dinner. This is what works for me and I am almost never hungry. Your mileage will almost definitely vary since part of the reason I eat this way is for medical reasons.

• ThrivingSpirit
    Options
    39flavours wrote: »

Typical day:
    50% complex carbs.
    20% protein.
    30% healthy fats.

Minimally the recommended 25 g fiber but probably more like 50g most days.

64-80 oz of water.
    No sweets.
  • ThrivingSpirit
    Options
    everjcjv wrote: »
    How often do you eat? Maybe you would benefit to breaking up your meals more and spreading them through out the day.

When I'm doing fine? I do IF and don't eat breakfast, then for the rest of the day I eat every 2-4 hours.
  • ThrivingSpirit
    Options
    I know for some people exercise increases appetite, but intense cardio usually somewhat suppresses mine. Days I do intense cardio are easier for me to stick to a calorie budget so maybe you could try incorporating more into your routine and see whether it hurts or helps.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm brushing off suggestions here but the days I exercise are even worse since my appetite went crazy.
  • ThrivingSpirit
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I am going to jump on the see a doctor bandwagon as well. If something suddenly changes in how you feel you need to rule out a medical reason.

In the meantime:

Compare your diary from a day you struggled to a day in the past where you got through the day without problems. If they are different try to replicate the day from your past and test the results. If you struggle try replicating a few other days. This will give you some additional data for yourself and the doctor.

You can also try eating less food more often or more food less often and/or at different times. I always skip breakfast because it makes me hungrier the rest of the day. I then proceed to eat 85-90 percent of my calories at lunch and the rest is basically a snack for dinner. This is what works for me and I am almost never hungry. Your mileage will almost definitely vary since part of the reason I eat this way is for medical reasons.

Thank you. This is definitely something I had to adjust myself to quit binge eating when I started losing weight. Stopped eating breakfast bc I'm almost never hungry in the morning, started eating big dinners because I'm always hungry at night.

Seems that hasn't changed much since these "attacks" are only happening in the middle of the night! Even if I'm hungrier than normal I never seem to get these attacks during the daytime.

As for replicating days that worked for me we had the same train of thought so thats what I've been trying to do. Unfortunately... the outcome is the same. Seems no matter what I try and how perfect my eating is, my appetite goes insane in the middle of the night lately.
  • TavistockToad
    edited January 2019
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

In the meantime:

Thank you. This is definitely something I had to adjust myself to quit binge eating when I started losing weight. Stopped eating breakfast bc I'm almost never hungry in the morning, started eating big dinners because I'm always hungry at night.

Seems that hasn't changed much since these "attacks" are only happening in the middle of the night! Even if I'm hungrier than normal I never seem to get these attacks during the daytime.

As for replicating days that worked for me we had the same train of thought so thats what I've been trying to do. Unfortunately... the outcome is the same. Seems no matter what I try and how perfect my eating is, my appetite goes insane in the middle of the night lately.

maybe those macros aren't 'perfect' though?

maybe try taking 10% off your carbs and adding it to protein and fat? see if that makes a difference?

• Je55ica_79
    Je55ica_79 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I think a doctor visit is something that you need while you're having the problem and seeing a dietitian might help too. You might be missing something that your body needs.

The only time I had the problems you're describing is when I was pregnant...
  • ThrivingSpirit
    Options
    everjcjv wrote: »
    I think a doctor visit is something that you need while you're having the problem and seeing a dietitian might help too. You might be missing something that your body needs.

The only time I had the problems you're describing is when I was pregnant...

😂 Well I'm definitely not. I've been having these episodes ever since I was a teenager, they always happen to me after I've lost weight.

(Also, my husband got snipped).

So the official verdict from speaking to a professional today is that my body is freaking out trying to restore the weight I lost bc it doesn't understand that I'm not in a famine. Even though I never have a bigger deficit than 500 cals a day. My body is just really resistant to losing weight and is trying to save me as stupid as it is. Lol.

Increased ghrelin and leptin apparently.

😑 The official advice so far is just to ride it out and try to control it as much as possible to not regain the 10 lbs I lost.
  • allieeveryday
    allieeveryday Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    So the official verdict from speaking to a professional today is that my body is freaking out trying to restore the weight I lost bc it doesn't understand that I'm not in a famine. Even though I never have a bigger deficit than 500 cals a day. My body is just really resistant to losing weight and is trying to save me as stupid as it is. Lol.

Increased ghrelin and leptin apparently.

😑 The official advice so far is just to ride it out and try to control it as much as possible to not regain the 10 lbs I lost.

Glad you talked to a professional. If you're on track with MFP to lose a pound a week, can you change the goal to a half-pound a week and see if that helps? You'd still be in a deficit, but not quite as large of one?
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Maybe there are food triggers for you. For example, and I'm not suggesting this is your problem, it's just an example of what happens with me - if I eat something sweet in the morning like pancakes or muffins, I feel like I'm starving all day long and will often lose control and eat everything in sight.

My doctor advised me to divide my calories somewhat evenly through the day and eat 300-400 calories for breakfast even when I'm not hungry in the morning because it will keep me from eating too much in the evening. It does help. I used to completely lose control around 3 or 4 in the afternoon, likely because I hadn't eaten anything until noon and was in too much of a calorie deficit by then.