Weights at gym off putting

I do C25K at the gym and Zumba classes I would like to start lifting I’m female 49 and just feel awkward in lifting wrong as so many men are watching ... our gym doesn’t offer much help and no women’s only slots.
Any advice ?
Maybe I should just be brave and do it 😂

Replies

• Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    A few personal training sessions is a good idea. Also, there are plenty of beginner programs with demo videos on the internet. I like Nia Shanks’ beginner program for women for lifters just starting out. Nia goes over each exercise in detail in the videos, and the program is free. There are demo videos out there for Stronglifts too. Watch the videos at home a few times before you go to the gym, and then be brave and go do it. Try not to worry about men (or anyone else) watching. My experience is that anyone watching is just interested to see an unfamiliar face in the gym, not watching to criticize.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Thanks guys
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    edited January 2019
    @size102b I'm 55 and felt the same way about lifting at the gym! I've been a runner for ~10 years, primarily half-marathon and marathon distances but felt I really wanted to improve my overall fitness and aesthetic. It really can be so intimidating to start lifting!

What I did was start with StrongLifts 5x5. I read through the StrongLifts website, watched the videos, and then started with simple bodyweight squats and dumbbell weights or a pre-loaded small bar for the other lifts. I take my time with progressing and I focus on improving my form each time I go to the gym.

The other thing that really helped was going during times when the gym is not busy. Going during off-times gives you the space to feel more comfortable.

I can honestly say, though, that everyone is just doing their own thing. When I have had a question, I just ask someone! Everyone is super friendly and helpful! I'm sure your gym will be the same...just get in there, start slow, study & practice your form, and ask for help when you need it. Good luck to you!!
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Thankyou I’ll be brave 🤩
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I watched a lot of videos on form before I went in. Just had to push myself to get out of my comfort zone. I'm extremely shy but in the gym people don't really seem to talk to each other very much so it's not so bad.
  • rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    edited January 2019
    If I can comment from an ex-bodybuilder point of view, we never cared for newcomers, barely saw them in fact. All of us had just enough to do to keep us busy and focused on our own work.
    I remember correcting some new people but only because they were doing lifts so bad they would get hurt. Seriously, it is you being self concious, not the other people around thinking anything about your form.
  • Iain__Fraser
    Iain__Fraser Posts: 26 Member
    I used to go to a large gym and it was full of big guys who were lifting heavy & grunting etc! It’s quite intimidating.
    But eventually I just said to hell with it and went in and did my own thing. It’s made such a difference and I would never look down on anyone using free weights.

Ultimately, we all start somewhere.💪🏻
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    trimi1104 wrote: »
    If I can comment from an ex-bodybuilder point of view, we never cared for newcomers, barely saw them in fact. All of us had just enough to do to keep us busy and focused on our own work.
    I remember correcting some new people but only because they were doing lifts so bad they would get hurt. Seriously, it is you being self concious, not the other people around thinking anything about your form.

This. Unless you are in our way, we don't really pay attention to the new people. We don't stare, because we don't care. I will say that if you don't understand something, please ask.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    As others have suggested, a few sessions with a personal trainer can be helpful. Does your gym offer classes? A Bodypump class might be helpful, and if it's already included in your membership all the better. The class is low weights and high reps, and it covers a lot of the basic movements. It can be a bit of a confidence boost and a stepping stone because at the very least, you could go in the weight room, pick up some dumbbells or a fixed weight barbell, do the movements you learn in the class with a few sets of 8-12 reps, and get a decent total body workout. It also helps you have a sense of the movements and the terminology when looking at programs or talking to a trainer.
  • elothen
    elothen Posts: 155 Member
    If you can afford the trainer (and they're competent) I'd go that route. Otherwise you can find lots of good info on youtube showing how to do lifts. Just pay attention and get several sources. There is SOOO much misinformation in fitness and nutrition so you've got to do the research and then test it with your own body. What works for some doesn't work for all and the last thing you want to do is injure yourself. Regardless, be bold and go do it. No one else cares what you're doing unless you're hogging the machine they want and after doing it for a month or so you'll know that for yourself.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    If you don't go with a trainer, I'd suggest getting a copy of Rippetoe's Starting Strength. Not necessarily for the programming, but he goes into a lot on lifting form in the book (more than other books on lifting that I've read), including common errors people make and specific things to watch out for.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    ..and as others have said, we're all too busy with our own workouts to notice or care what anyone else is doing.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    I find that the men/women in my fitness center aren’t watching much other than what is on their phone. The most difficult part is making eye contact to ask them if you can use the bench while they’re texting on Snapchat.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    edited January 2019
    I started out by buying women’s muscle and fitness (ha. Do they even make that anymore?) and and body building book with lots of pictures and plans in it. These days I have a bunch of fitness people I follow on Instagram, and I look up proper form for new moves on a few websites.

The gym I use is less busy first thing in the morning. For the most part, the guys ignore me, and I say guys because women are the minority in the weights area.

Be brave! If you don’t want to put the time in learning on your own and researching how do things properly - paying someone to help you is a good option, although not necessary. And to repeat: be brave and go anyway. I spent too many of my younger years being scared, and now I wish I had sucked it up sooner. I love lifting. Most people at the vym are friendly if you need to ask the occasional question!
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    lin_be wrote: »
    I find that the men/women in my fitness center aren’t watching much other than what is on their phone. The most difficult part is making eye contact to ask them if you can use the bench while they’re texting on Snapchat.

This is so true!!