Relationships

Options
meastman77
meastman77 Posts: 3 Member
Anyone have any advice on how I can better my relationship with my son? We had differing views on political issues. He has conservative views and I tend to be liberal. Although I try to avoid certain subjects, somehow something comes up and we disagree and end up fighting. I think that he likes to pick fights with me. All this is very hurtful and heartbreaking. I really want to get along with him. Life is short and I don't want to go through it fighting with him!
Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• Taz6o5
    Taz6o5 Posts: 3,441 Member
    Options
    If you're son is looking to pick a fight with you on topics you both know you don't agree then I don't know what to say . He's being a real D.

I have family members who are the same way . When we all get together and it's such a turn off . I just say whatever and try to change the topic and that doesn't work I walk out and go in my room and put headphones on and let them fight over who's right .
  • Amaris_89
    Amaris_89 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Could you share with him how it makes you feel when you fight over these things? Could that maybe lead to you both agreeing to just disagree on political issues? You want to enjoy each other while you can, you're absolutely right that life is too short and as long as you're both free to have your own opinions maybe ask that he talks politics with friends or other people in his life and agree to both make the effort to stick to other topics?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    It depends on how old the two of you are. If he's old enough to vote, it is your responsibility to be respectful of his intelligence and his responsibility to respectful of yours. Your profile picture doesn't make me think that you are old enough to be a parent of a voter. If that is indeed the case, block the kid's access to television and internet. It's your money, your house, your rules. Yes, I know. That's conservative thinking.

I live with a happily birth-assigned female wife and two adult happily birth-assigned female daughters. I am a happily birth-assigned cis-gendered male. Those two sentences alone explain what the social stress is all about. Am I really going to have to explain "me and 3 gals" for the rest of my life? Anyway. My wife and one of my resident daughters voted to the right of me 2+ years ago and one voted to the left of me. There's no need to fight over it. Each of us, individually, don't matter even at the precinct level.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    meastman77 wrote: »
    Anyone have any advice on how I can better my relationship with my son? We had differing views on political issues. He has conservative views and I tend to be liberal. Although I try to avoid certain subjects, somehow something comes up and we disagree and end up fighting. I think that he likes to pick fights with me. All this is very hurtful and heartbreaking. I really want to get along with him. Life is short and I don't want to go through it fighting with him!

Is he rebelling? If you said you liked what he liked would he still like it?
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    How old is he? That will determine what my suggestions would be.

My son is 27 and he and I have differing political views but we talk about them and try to learn from each other. He doesn't believe he is right and neither do I. I think age a maturity play a large factor here.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Simply change the subject. Options:

Have you seen this new movie or show?
    How's work/school going?
    Did you hear they're putting in a new ______?
    Do you have any vacation plans?
    Let me tell you what happened today...

The easiest way to deflect a charging attack is to swiftly step aside.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    There are some topics that are just too charged and sensitive to talk about with certain people and politics is one of them. Best to change the subject like many have said.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Age?

Growing older and maturing = better openness and conversations. I've got a super head strong daughter, she is older now, but she was just like I was at her age. Looking back any kind of argument we had I was simply not listening to her and trying to push views on her instead of letting her be her own person. We have amazing conversations now.

Had a conversation about the conflict that happens? Even if you have and this hasn't provided a happy medium end the discussion before it starts... no battle scars, hurt feelings to mull over.
  • SirMxyzptlk
    SirMxyzptlk Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    meastman77 wrote: »

Tough call because you want your kids to have more black and white in life than gray area, but you also want the black and white to be based on critical thinking where most political views are not. Depending on how open a person they are, you can try to appeal to reason and discussion, having them question and test their own views for truth.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    There has to be more to life than politics. Is he into music, movies, books?

Maybe put on some Rage Against the Machine while you're making dinner and see if he comes out of his room to rock out with you in the kitchen. Or if it's a rainy, quiet evening, settle in and watch V for Vendetta together. They love those comic book heroes.

Still no progress? Hmmm... ok, I've got it. Scribble down a quote from the book 1984 onto the fridge whiteboard every morning. Get the boy acquainted with the finer literary works of our time. Bond through the arts.

Hope this helps! I can't wait to have children of my own someday. They're gonna be my little lab rats... hehehe.