5x5 strong lifts

Options
I’ve been doing 5x5 strong lifts for almost a month now .: my plan is to do it until March and then switch .. for those of you who have done it - how long do you do it at a stretch ?

Replies

• _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_
    _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_ Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I typically do a workout program for 8-12 weeks. By then I usually get bored and need to change things up.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I did it for almost 14 months. Until I couldn't progress on the lifts any more, even with micro plates. I loved that program! It fit my life so nicely at the time.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Typically it's best to run any novice program until you stall on a lift and then switch to more advanced programming.

It simply doesn't matter to try to stretch it out as long as possible and if anything you will progress at a slower pace than if you moved onto better programming.

March might be reasonable depending on how to respond.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    You really only get one chance to milk those early gains for as much as you can. I am not a fan of SL, but the concept is fine. You can take it until failure, try a deload, fail afain, switch to 3x5 to failure, deload, fail, then try an intermediate program. Don't waste those gains with a specific timeline.
  • Jadu786
    Jadu786 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks All, I am going to start working out with a trainer tomorrow - hopefully that helps me reach some of my goals