Lost with where to start.

Options
GainzWitHan
GainzWitHan Posts: 8 Member
edited January 2019 in Getting Started
Hi guys.

I’m 5’3” and 235. I have a pear shape body and I love what I have thighs and butt wise but I want to tone my arms, stomach, and back. I know I cannot spot reduce. I’m just confused with where to start. To I loose weight first then start Heavey lift? Or can I do both at the same time? Also, how do I find out how many calories I need to eat everyday? Thanks guys!!!!!!

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Put your stats into MFP and set a reasonable goal (you might be able to manage 2lb/week but if you find it's a struggle bump it down to 1lb/week). Eat in a way that gives you a lot of variety but in a way you also enjoy and can stick to long term. Some people do start lifting while they're losing weight, you're not going to build muscle (that's an entirely different process) but it DOES create a good fitness habit and helps preserve your current muscle mass, not to mention helps you to use it better. MFP is designed for you to eat some of those exercise calories back but given how inaccurate a lot of numbers can be it's advised to eat about half back, and see if it helps or hinders.
  • GerimsWils0114
    GerimsWils0114 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started with a fitness exercise coach at the same time I started counting calories. Since I was really out of shape, I started at 30 minutes strength and cardio three days a week. Now, seven months later, I’m down 45 pounds, can deadlift 60 pounds, farmers carry 100 pounds, row 1500 meters in under five minutes, and felling much healthier. So, I’d say you can definitely start both at the same time.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Start with as little or as much as you can.

Some people like to tackle weight loss and fitness at the same time. I tried this numerous times in the past and I would always end up overwhelmed and I'd stop.

So my previous attempt I decided that I would hit the gym and start getting fit and then worry about losing weight once I was fitter. This didn't end up working as the act of working out while carrying all that weight was just demoralising. I wasn't physically capable of moving well enough to make any real progress with my fitness and since I wasn't watching my weight I made no progress and I stopped.

This time I decided to lose the weight (or at least a significant portion of the weight) first before trying to get fitter, and this worked like a dream.

I started out at 160kg (352lb) and lose the first 25kg (55lb) down to 135kg (297) with zero exercise at all. I just continued to eat the same foods I had always eaten only I tracked how much I was eating and maintained a calorie deficit. At this stage I decided to start moving and lost the next 10kg (22lb) down to 125kg (275lb) while going for a 1 hour walk each day. So a total of 77lb lost and three quarters of that with no 'working out'.

By this stage my weight loss was well under control so I was able to being to seriously tackle getting fit without the risk of getting overwhelmed or without my work outs negatively impacting my weight loss progress.

Really all this is to say that you need to find what works for you. If you can handle making multiple changes at once then that's great, but if you need to pull back and tackle one thing at a time in order to make sure you can sustain things long term then don't be afraid to do that.

G'luck
  • MrMuzzles
    MrMuzzles Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    First things first, put together a schedule that no matter what happens you will be able to make it to the gym atleast 3 days a week(to start). Each day should consist of a total body workout for the first 4-6 weeks. Dont get caught up in doing single muscle groups per day. This is a HUGE rookie mistake. If you have any injuries, I can guide you with the best alternatives (i'm a NASM certified correctional coach). Your cardio should be 1 or 2 days a week with no more than 20% of the time spent on a piece of cardio equipment. Once you build up your stamina, you'll go up to 30% using hit style cardio. Trust me, its not hard once you get going. Just have to master your schudule because the best workouts, macro #'s will mean little to nothing if you're geeting to the gym and 'properly' moving your bodies biggest muscle groups. Let me know if you have more Q's. ~Mr.Muzzles
  • MrMuzzles
    MrMuzzles Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    Start with as little or as much as you can.

Some people like to tackle weight loss and fitness at the same time. I tried this numerous times in the past and I would always end up overwhelmed and I'd stop.

So my previous attempt I decided that I would hit the gym and start getting fit and then worry about losing weight once I was fitter. This didn't end up working as the act of working out while carrying all that weight was just demoralising. I wasn't physically capable of moving well enough to make any real progress with my fitness and since I wasn't watching my weight I made no progress and I stopped.

This time I decided to lose the weight (or at least a significant portion of the weight) first before trying to get fitter, and this worked like a dream.

I started out at 160kg (352lb) and lose the first 25kg (55lb) down to 135kg (297) with zero exercise at all. I just continued to eat the same foods I had always eaten only I tracked how much I was eating and maintained a calorie deficit. At this stage I decided to start moving and lost the next 10kg (22lb) down to 125kg (275lb) while going for a 1 hour walk each day. So a total of 77lb lost and three quarters of that with no 'working out'.

By this stage my weight loss was well under control so I was able to being to seriously tackle getting fit without the risk of getting overwhelmed or without my work outs negatively impacting my weight loss progress.

Really all this is to say that you need to find what works for you. If you can handle making multiple changes at once then that's great, but if you need to pull back and tackle one thing at a time in order to make sure you can sustain things long term then don't be afraid to do that.

G'luck

Losing weight and becoming fit are one my friend. As you "lose weight" (if done the right way) you gain an ability to perform better...that's the definition of being fit.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Nah, I was just as unfit at 125kg as I was at 160kg. It wasn't until I started to incorporate exercise that I made any kind of improvements in my fitness. I may have been healthier, but I definitely wasn't any fitter.