Soon to be dad that let him self go :(

Hey this is probably my 10th profile I've ever made but it's the first time I'm on here to loose weight. I was always really lean and determined to gain muscle mass when on here in the past.

Since my wife had gotten pregnant I've been eating like crap and eating a LOT and ended up putting on quite a bit of weight (30+ Lbs).

My profile pic is me about a year ago and is also where I want to get back to. Just here to get my eating habits in check and loose a bout 25- 30 lbs.

I've never had to loose this much weight before and it kind of feels impossible TBH. I know I got to do something though because at this rate if I just keep going the way I have I'll be obese by the time my son is walking and I don't want that!

Hoping to make some friends on here (especially new parents) that are also trying to loose some (baby) weight.

Replies

• didilozz91
    didilozz91 Posts: 11 Member
    Nothing is impossible. You can do it!
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Hi. I have an 18-month old son. Congratulations on the upcoming new addition! 25-30lbs is not impossible but may happen more slowly than you would like. Getting back on track now before baby comes is a good idea though. You want to build those habits now before the exhaustion and stress of the newborn. Exercise is absolutely great, but I would recommend focusing on the eating. Not only is that more crucial for weight loss, but the newborn will most likely throw off your fitness routine for a few weeks or months, making your eating habits that much more important and more sustainable.
  • thepainmaker88
    thepainmaker88 Posts: 365 Member
    edited January 2019
    Thank you guys. That's my biggest concern is that in 12 weeks, after our son is born that I'll fall even deeper into this rut. Sucks it's also crazy cold here and snow covered. I used to run every day but can't bring my self to jog in this crap ( the other day it was -16) So like you said I'm focusing on my diet first and then hopefully once the weather improves maybe adding some exercise into the mix.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    You can do this. The good news is that the newborn stage is relatively short and then you start really settling into your new normal and finding routines that work. I think the most important things during that stage are: 1) be kind to yourself, 2) be kind to each other, 3) nap, 4) find time for fitness even if it is just taking the baby for a walk in the stroller, and 5) be aware that you won't just be tired but also stressed and work on your stress management. You would be amazed at how much item 4 can help with overall mental health and stress management.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Welcome back! It's definitely not impossible- just trust the process! Congrats on the upcoming bundle of joy!

Good luck!

PS. I gained 35 lbs during my first pregnancy and my husband gained 45 lbs. He called it "sympathy weight" LOL. You're not alone! :tongue:
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Dear father - to be - : There is a lot happening in your life, lots of excitement, lots of worries, lots of new experiences coming your way. Not just physical, but also very much psychological. You also need to take care of yourself, with plenty of new responsibilities coming your way. You will take it in your stride, you will be strong for your dear wife and especially for your son. Your eating habits might change even more but soon you will travel on an even keel and you will find a new balance in your life. Billions of fathers have been there and somehow they did the best in their new role. You will set yourself new priorities and you will grow into the new role as father. Talk about it to your wife, your family - or just write your thoughts down. Who knows, there might be a book in the making, even a best - seller? Otherwise - let MFP do all the calculations, trust MFP, prepare yourself a simple meal plan for the next day and take it day by day, meal by meal. You are going to be alright.
  • ethalew01
    ethalew01 Posts: 13 Member
    Fresh meat, and vegetables all the way. Do cardio everyday. you just got to stick with it and results will come. If you feel like you wanna quit just remind yourself why you started in the first place
  • thepainmaker88
    thepainmaker88 Posts: 365 Member
    I think the hardest part is going to be resisting food I have no business eating since it’s always in the house and ready to eat. My wife is a very picky eater and with the pregnancy cravings and all there’s a lot of junk in the house.... she won’t change her eating habits tho so I’ve gotta just change mine regardless