Carb cycling? Does it work?

Options
I just found out about carb cycling . It sounds like it would work. Feel like I’m slowly gaining a little weight back, anybody else done itbefore

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Please explain the idea behind carb cycling.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Define what you mean by "work"?

Lots of carbs help my performance and endurance when I'm cycling but I guess that isn't what you mean.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Oh, is it carbs for a specific sport? Can't believe that!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    it is eating carbs on one day and not on others... one day on ..two off.. something like that,
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    I would say that this kind of thing is unnecessary, unless you plan to be taking your clothes off on stage for some type of competition 😂...

But... Like Bruce Lee says

"If it helps you in a fight, you should learn to use it."

So do what you feel is best for you and best of luck ❤️
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What kind of results are you hoping for? I carb cycle in a deficit which helps me with adherence and workout performance. It can be a bit overcomplicated and unnecessary for most people.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    FitKim39 wrote: »
    I just found out about carb cycling . It sounds like it would work. Feel like I’m slowly gaining a little weight back, anybody else done itbefore

I presume you do not want to be gaining weight... so if you feel like you are, step on the scale and see.

When maintaining weight its all about total calories you need to maintain your current weight, how and when you choose to eat carbs will be personal preference.

Does it work? Lower carbs days for me impacts my performance in the gym and carrying out my day to day activities. If you are looking for a performance boost, you can try it and see if it works.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Sure it works. But it may not be for everyone.
  • AdrianSee1975
    AdrianSee1975 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I’m on maintenance calories/very slight deficit and have been for about 6 months.
    Every 5th day I bump my carbs up from 250g to 500g just to refill a little.

I think this works better for me than spreading the carbs out equally each day.

My body fat is down to 5.4% currently.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i carb cycle with the nutrition team i work with - it helps me for adherance and replenishing glycogen stores (my high carb day will be a rest/recovery day) which allows me to kill it in the gym the next day - but it doesn't change my overall energy balance for the week