Losing Body Fat Questions

Options
I’ve been trying to lose body fat % but clearly I’m doing something wrong so I thought I would ask for some advice

I’ve been eating very clean and healthy for about 1.5 months now, no cheat meals no protein shakes, no sweets, etc.

My body type breakdown
Endomorph: 30%
Mesomorph: 60%
Ectomorph: 10%

What I’ve been eating daily (not at once but throughout the day)
250 grams of Mung Beans
500 grams of chicken breast
4 oz of peanuts
4 oz raisins
1 lb of guava fruit
4 large eggs
About 2100 calories

This works out to about 200 grams of protein, 220 grams of carbs and 40 grams of fat

Essentially 40-50% protein/carbs and <10% fats

My workout is about 500 calories burned (cardio and weights)

BMR is about 1750

The problem: I’m losing lean muscle and gaining fat. My weight has stayed the same however I can lift more than I could before the diet. The scale has shown 18% to 20% body fat and 39kg of muscle down to 36kg. Yet I’m stronger now and look thinner :/

I’m guessing I need to up the carbs because my body might have gone into starvation mode holding onto the fat due to the drop in calories but not sure if I should mix up intake %’s based on my body type.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• linusidom
    linusidom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm using a weight scale at the gym that measures quite a few metrics including Total Body Water, Left/Right Arm/Leg Fat/Muscle, Protein, Minerals, etc. I figure even though it may not be accurate, it's at least consistent in it's inaccuracy :neutral: Calipers would probably be best but I don't have them and my gym doesn't know how to use them...

My weight has been the exact same. Hasn't gone up, hasn't gone down, which is what I actually want :) It's the fat content going up and muscle content going down...according to the scale anyway
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why so little fat?
  • linusidom
    Options
    Good call on the fat...I’m using the verified foods from MFP and that’s where I’m pulling my intake numbers from. I’ll rework the numbers and update with what I find.

Thanks for the help.
  • linusidom
    Options
    Good call on the body fat, took a look at the numbers and the inputs and corrected (images attached).

as2imsmua0ye.png

I'm 180, 5'8, BMR ~1750, Ideal goal is the maintain mass but lose body fat, but I'm willing to lose the mass to lose the body fat.

My workout plan is a combination
    - HIIT (20 minutes, burns ~200 calories)
    - followed by either Calisthenics, Heavy Weights or Volume Weights depending on the day of the week and direction (push vs pull) for 30-45 minutes. Calisthenics and volume days my HR I try and keep my heart rate at a base of 130-140 and up to 160-170. Weight days it's probably closer to 110.
    -RHR is 65-70

Any glaring issues with my intake?
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    a more accurate food guide in terms of nutrient composition is at the USDA food composition site
  • linusidom
    Options
    For body fat loss what should be the target numbers/%’s to aim for? What’s a good guide to follow?

There’s a lot out there which makes it all the more confusing... :neutral:

Thanks!
  • amberellen12
    amberellen12 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Where are your vegetables?
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    linusidom wrote: »
    For body fat loss what should be the target numbers/%’s to aim for? What’s a good guide to follow?

There’s a lot out there which makes it all the more confusing... :neutral:

Thanks!

To lose fat, you need to be in a calorie deficit. Quite simple. Eat less than you burn each day.
  • Bend_and_sway
    Bend_and_sway Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting and you are looking smaller then you are not losing muscle -- the scale is goofy. I would stay the course, possibly reduce overall calorie intake by 200 hundred or so. You only need .8 grams of protein per pound of current weight in order to grow muscle.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    My body type breakdown
    Endomorph: 30%
    Mesomorph: 60%
    Ectomorph: 10%
    This is not a thing, disregard completely.

Fat % scales are useless, not accurate at all.

Weigh your food, all of it. I even weigh the milk in my tea.

Also, saying you are "eating clean and healthy", there is no "clean food" you can eat sweet treats as part of weight loss and a healthy diet. Depriving yourself of things you like and labeling food as "clean" is a surefire way to fail long term. As long as you are in a deficit overall, that's all you need to lose fat.