Tofu - Recipe Ideas

Options
reformquest
reformquest Posts: 2 Member
I love tofu & am looking for fun ways to enjoy it as a snack or main. Ideas?

Replies

• Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I usually add it to soups or make a sandwich out of it with a little tamari or miso or even ketchup and mustard.
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Soups:
    Miso soup - dashi stock base, add mushrooms and green onion, works best with silken tofu, for a vegan/vegetarian version use the soaking water from dried shiitake plus kombu instead of traditional dashi
    Kenchin jiru - dashi stock base, add any root vegetables you want plus silken tofu, I usually make it with pumpkin/sweet potato, daikon radish, mushrooms, green onion, and tofu
    Nabe/Hot pot - dashi stock base, add pretty much any vegetables you want plus tofu then dip in ponzu sauce when removing individual ingredients from the pot, I generally use tofu, mushrooms, cabbage, carrots, and whole green onion
    Soondubu jjigae - kimchi and tofu soup with optional meat/mushrooms, spicy

Stuff in sauce:
    Green curry tofu - use extra firm tofu, add any veggies you want, serve with rice
    Teriyaki tofu - stir-fry tofu first then add any veggies you want, once everything is almost cooked add teriyaki sauce (homemade preferably, if store-bought make sure it has rice wine/mirin in it), let reduce, serve with rice
    Tofu stir-fry - get adventurous and try some chinese cooking sauces like black bean sauce or lao gan ma, add any veg/meat you want, serve with rice

Other preparations:
    Age dashi tofu - fried tofu served with a dashi sauce and grated daikon radish, very refreshing but mainly a side dish/snack

There are a bunch more ideas on Just One Cookbook https://www.justonecookbook.com/tags/tofu/ and at The Woks of Life https://thewoksoflife.com/category/recipes/tofu/
  • reformquest
    reformquest Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I live here in Japan so getting all of those ingredients are obviously easy to procure. I’ll try some of your suggestions out~
  • cherylhammani70
    cherylhammani70 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have never tried tofu, what does it actually taste like?
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    https://happyherbivore.com/recipe/basic-baked-tofu/

This one's very simple. Just pick up a marinade from the store. I like the Soy Vay brand.
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I have never tried tofu, what does it actually taste like?

You know plain egg whites? Kind of like that. If you've ever had edamame, it tastes like that but less "green". It doesn't have a very strong flavor, which is why it's usually prepared with strong-tasting ingredients/sauces. Texture-wise it varies greatly depending on the type and firmness. There are two main types: silken and regular. Silken tofu is very smooth and silky, kind of like a flan. Regular tofu is a bit more crumbly textured, like scrambled eggs but firmer. Also, the firmness determines how it will work in a recipe. Silken tofu, even "extra firm", will fall apart relatively easily and is best suited for soups or blended into sauces/mousse. Firm or extra firm regular tofu keeps its shape more easily, with extra firm being the best for frying or stir-frying because it won't crumble readily.

Tofu is a great, cheap source of protein and fiber so I'd highly recommend trying it out!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    I just ate an Ezekiel tortilla with some smoked tofu, a little cheese, mustard, raw onion, heated to melt the cheese; then I added raw sauerkraut. It was tasty, and not even a little bit traditional in any known cuisine. ;)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I slice mine relatively thin and bake it with a little garlic powder on it. I like it that way. I gotta get it a little crispy too. you could make tofu chips too iM sure
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    If you aren’t vegetarian, ma po tofu is great.
    https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/mapo-tofu-recipe/
  • churchim808
    churchim808 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    An air fryer is a must if you have the counter space. I sprinkle tofu with corn starch, seasonings and chickpea flour and spray with Pam. I air fry it at 400 for 20 min, shaking twice.
  • hgallee731
    hgallee731 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Tofu scramble with extra firm tofu! My favorite savory breakfast when I have the time. I probabably make it differently every time - usually adding coconut aminos, turmeric, garlic salt, pepper, cumin, and lots of nutritional yeast, and soy milk. Vegan cheese is a plus for creaminess! Can add in veggies like onion, green pepper, mushrooms, brocolli, or leave it plain depeneding on your mood. This is how it looked last time I made it. So good!