Anyone box to tone arms?

Options
vanityy99
vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
edited January 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Bought a punching bag for the boys. Was wondering if anyone boxes (only) to build muscle and was able to get results without lifting weights ? Not really a fan of lifting weights.

Replies

• born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Punching a heavy bag or a speed bag isn’t intended to make you stronger, they’re for learning technique, timing and movement. Bag work is only a very small part of a boxer’s regimen and boxing itself is mostly cardio and endurance. I think you will find that most fighters do lots of strength conditioning over and above their boxing and that boxing doesn’t do all that much for muscle development on its own. I mean, it’s better than nothing but not even remotely comparable to weight lifting or even calisthenics.
  • trayborn114442
    trayborn114442 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love to box. It is a way to tone and destress. It is great for all over workout.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Heavy bag work is mostly cardio; but you can also throw in a couple burpees for the arms chest and back ;)
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Did you buy a heavy bag, or a speed bag?

If you are talking about speed bag, since you already have the platform; I would recommend you get an extra large bag... like 12 or 13 inches.

The larger bags have a nice resistance upon impact and i get a decent triceps burn etc. That would be your best bet for toning. Make sure you are jabbing the bag with good form, not just rolling your arms. You want to "box the bag".

If you bought a heavy bag, no I dont think it will help tone the arms.