300 pounds and 20 years old help !

Options
champion818
champion818 Posts: 65 Member
edited January 2019 in Motivation and Support
Coming back to this discussion forum to say I’ve gained back all the weight is heart breaking. I can not get my eating habits under control as I’ve been struggling with them for years. I keep eating excessive amounts of food without regard or control . I want to seek help but I don’t know how to go about it.

I was 18 and 220 pounds and now almost 21 I’m 300 pounds which is terrible . I have my moments where I work out for months and eat healthy but a switch goes off in my head and I start eating terrible and binging food for months on end gaining up to 20 pounds in a single month alone. I can feel myself deteriorating slowly because food is killing me.

I have no thyroid problems or anything medically that would cause me to be so huge but I still manage to gain weight as if I did . I tried calorie counting which worked but the moment I stopped counting I would find myself eating so much bad food . Calorie counting puts my mind in a dark place . I fixate on what my next meal is and what I can eat that following Saturday . I just become consumed in food .

I would really appreciate any advice / and or help that could potentially save my life . I know if I don’t stop the path I’m going I will be 400 pounds in 2 years max . I’ve been gaining 55 pounds per year for the 2 years :(

Thank you

Also feel free to message me anything helpful I’m all ears

Replies

• amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    If I change the numbers in your story it could be me, it could be many of us on MFP. So many of us, including myself, were doing awesome, and then it all falls apart and the weight comes back. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Are you depriving yourself too much? Is your daily calorie allowance realistic? Have you asked your dr. for help? I know that seeing a nutritionist opened my eyes up a lot. You are here.... which means you want to make some changes. That is half the battle.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Coming back to this discussion forum to say I’ve gained back all the weight is heart breaking. I can not get my eating habits under control as I’ve been struggling with them for years. I keep eating excessive amounts of food without regard or control . I want to seek help but I don’t know how to go about it.

I was 18 and 220 pounds and now almost 21 I’m 300 pounds which is terrible . I have my moments where I work out for months and eat healthy but a switch goes off in my head and I start eating terrible and binging food for months on end gaining up to 20 pounds in a single month alone. I can feel myself deteriorating slowly because food is killing me.

I have no thyroid problems or anything medically that would cause me to be so huge but I still manage to gain weight as if I did . I tried calorie counting which worked but the moment I stopped counting I would find myself eating so much bad food . Calorie counting puts my mind in a dark place . I fixate on what my next meal is and what I can eat that following Saturday . I just become consumed in food .

I would really appreciate any advice / and or help that could potentially save my life . I know if I don’t stop the path I’m going I will be 400 pounds in 2 years max . I’ve been gaining 55 pounds per year for the 2 years :(

Thank you

Also feel free to message me anything helpful I’m all ears

The first bolded statement makes me think you are restricting yourself too much. Don't focus on healthy eating (whatever that means to you) or exercise as the way to lose weight. Weight loss is just about the calories. Don't cut out foods you like unless you absolutely can't handle moderation. Exercise is good for your health and way to earn some extra calories for the day, but food is going to be more important for weight loss.

The second bolded statement makes me think you should consider talking with your doctor and maybe seeing a therapist for help. Needing help is nothing to be ashamed of, and you sound like you could use assistance working through your emotions with your weight and food.
  • OneRatGirl
    OneRatGirl Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've been there, my gaining was about a stone a year (14lbs), but frankly I started off heavier. My worst year was like that i think. I'm 27 now, I've just restarted, and at about 10 days in, I'm doing better than I ever have before. 10 days is my best.

I've also been prone to over restricting, which usually has me giving up in a week or less.

My advice to start, is set your account to only lose a little, maybe only half a pound a week, mine is only set to lose 1lb a week. And don't let yourself eat under a certain amount (over restricting). You could even set at it maintainance and make sure you eat within a couple hundred calories of that for a month, before dropping it back at all. If you make it manageable, you've got your best shot at sticking to it.

Maintaining my weight for a while was my first step, once I found I could do that, reducing sensibly seemed easier.
  • letthetrexout
    letthetrexout Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I fully agree with puffbrat above. Your post is coming from a mental space and seeking help is the strongest thing you can do for yourself. If you don't have a doctor (or have one you really like), you can go to a counselor who specializes in emotional eating. There's dietitians, licensed social workers, and psychologists who focus on this. Overeaters Anonymous is also a wonderful tool for people who don't know where to start but know they need to begin somewhere. The community in OA has resources they can point you to, like non-judgmental health care practitioners.
  • amber9543
    amber9543 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from. I’ve dealt with weight and even just body image problems my entire life. I was so desperate before to lose weight I even had an eating disorder. Now I️m trying to go the right way and I️t is hard, I won’t lie. But you clearly want to change so starting small and speaking to someone is the best way!
  • debbysatit
    debbysatit Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is a very hard job. I too am like you in that at times I am in the zone but then stop and go back to bad habits. I obsess about what to cook, what to buy, how much I can eat, how I want sweets or chocolate.
    If this sounds like a match please friend me and we can work on this journey together!
  • sra455
    sra455 Posts: 57 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I can relate to everything you've said. It's not easy but I think it really really helps to have someone to talk to regularly about whats going on, the ups and the downs. I'm about where you are, started at 332 eleven months ago. I've gotten down to as low as 288, but am at 296 right now. It not linear. There will be struggles. But I'm determined and I would be happy to be friends and help and go through this together. Feel free to message me.