Arrrrrggggggggghhhhhh I just binged!!! But I’m not a failure!!!!

Options
So yea.... I had triscuits, beanitos, eggplant dip, and 3 grams of Mac n cheese! 1 peanut butter cookie, 4 small chocolate chip cookies, and 8oz almond milk..... this was over the past few days.... I went over my carbs, my calories, and my fat. Guess what? It is what it is. I’m not going to beat myself up, I’m not going to feel like a failure. I’m going to take notes and do better tomorrow! Onward and upward! I can’t change what I’ve consumed, but I can forgive myself and strive to do better. If you’ve fallen out of your routine, share here! Let’s keep eachother uplifted. One of my biggest setbacks in the past was when I would fall off my healthy routine, I’d feel guilty and just quit. I refuse to do that anymore and I refuse to let you either! Post! Share! You are not alone!!!

Replies

• Fatty_Nuff
    Fatty_Nuff Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Big time carb addict here. I can go through a whole loaf of bread or a half gallon of ice cream in a couple hours. I just won't keep them in my house anymore. If I want ice cream I go to McD's and buy a cone. Not real ice cream, I know. But yummy.
  • pecabonitas
    pecabonitas Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Fatty_Nuff wrote: »
    Big time carb addict here. I can go through a whole loaf of bread or a half gallon of ice cream in a couple hours. I just won't keep them in my house anymore. If I want ice cream I go to McD's and buy a cone. Not real ice cream, I know. But yummy.

Nice strategy.... I need to get there... I have a 10 year old that I don’t want to deprive... lol... that’s my story and I’m sticking to it... 😂😭😂😭
  • jesshemingway
    jesshemingway Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Been really good recently but my trouble is when I go out to restaurants- temptation of the food just looks too good! I dont want to eat a boring salad! Went out with friends for meal and cinema last night and ended up eating the world! And of course its shown on the scales this morning! Gotta remind myself that as long as its only now and then a binge isnt the end of the world! 👍🏼
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    That doesn't sound like too much of a "binge" at all. especially the almond milks ;) and one cookie. or 3 GRAMS of mac and cheese, that's peanuts.
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    So yea.... I had triscuits, beanitos, eggplant dip, and 3 grams of Mac n cheese! 1 peanut butter cookie, 4 small chocolate chip cookies, and 8oz almond milk..... this was over the past few days.... I went over my carbs, my calories, and my fat. Guess what? It is what it is. I’m not going to beat myself up, I’m not going to feel like a failure. I’m going to take notes and do better tomorrow! Onward and upward! I can’t change what I’ve consumed, but I can forgive myself and strive to do better. If you’ve fallen out of your routine, share here! Let’s keep eachother uplifted. One of my biggest setbacks in the past was when I would fall off my healthy routine, I’d feel guilty and just quit. I refuse to do that anymore and I refuse to let you either! Post! Share! You are not alone!!!

Is it possible your plan is too restrictive? The foods you listed, in the quantities you listed, over the course of a few days, isn’t what I would call a binge, not in the clinical definition of Binge Eating Disorder.

It sounds like what happens when a person has made big adjustments to the foods they are eating in an effort to lose weight, and gives in and over does it a little bit. You’re right not to beat yourself up but you may want to consider why you felt like this was bad in the first place.

All of the things you listed can be eaten in moderation, while losing weight, in the context of an overall balanced diet. Figure out how to work them into your calories regularly and you may not be so tempted to overdo it.

You also mentioned a very common issue of “falling off the healthy routine and saying ‘forget it’ and giving up”. Weight loss isn’t about only eating “healthy” foods and giving up “bad” foods. It’s about a long term sustainable calorie deficit.

Good luck and with that good attitude take a look at your plan and see if it’s overly restrictive.

x100

or did you cut out all foods you actually enjoy leading to the binge? sometimes keeping "bad foods" (there are no bad foods) in our diet in moderation makes our eating plans more enjoyable and helps avoid binges.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    From your other thread I think you should evaluate if you're restricting too much. Take a look at your calorie goal. It's better to eat a little more everyday and lose slowly. You shouldn't let yourself get too hungry. The idea is to eat as much as possible and still lose.
  • pecabonitas
    Options
    Is it possible your plan is too restrictive? The foods you listed, in the quantities you listed, over the course of a few days, isn’t what I would call a binge, not in the clinical definition of Binge Eating Disorder.

It sounds like what happens when a person has made big adjustments to the foods they are eating in an effort to lose weight, and gives in and over does it a little bit. You’re right not to beat yourself up but you may want to consider why you felt like this was bad in the first place.

All of the things you listed can be eaten in moderation, while losing weight, in the context of an overall balanced diet. Figure out how to work them into your calories regularly and you may not be so tempted to overdo it.

You also mentioned a very common issue of “falling off the healthy routine and saying ‘forget it’ and giving up”. Weight loss isn’t about only eating “healthy” foods and giving up “bad” foods. It’s about a long term sustainable calorie deficit.

Good luck and with that good attitude take a look at your plan and see if it’s overly restrictive.

[/quote]

Thanks so much for your response.... I guess I felt guilty because those items are a no no on keto.... I just get nervous because I gain SO easily... if I just smell a slice of pizza I gain 4 pounds.... lol! I’m going from being a carb junkie to restricting my diet to 50 grams of carbs a day. Over two days my carb intake was near 200 grams..... I am an emotional eater to boot so when I fail at eating right I want to eat... lol I appreciate your advice!!!
  • pecabonitas
    Options
    From your other thread I think you should evaluate if you're restricting too much. Take a look at your calorie goal. It's better to eat a little more everyday and lose slowly. You shouldn't let yourself get too hungry. The idea is to eat as much as possible and still lose.

Thank you so much!!!!! I will do that.... I have not been doing too well on the exercising so I’m trying to be super strict on my diet..... I get down if I slip up.... at least if I’m exercising I’m burning calories but since I’m not because of my multiple jobs and being a single mom, the little time I do have goes to my daughter and then I’m exhausted! I have to find a way... I’ve seen others do it that have more on their plate than I do (no pun).... that’s why I started several discussions... I need help and support
  • pecabonitas
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    That doesn't sound like too much of a "binge" at all. especially the almond milks ;) or did you cut out all foods you actually enjoy leading to the binge? sometimes keeping "bad foods" (there are no bad foods) in our diet in moderation makes our eating plans more enjoyable and helps avoid binges.

Thanks so much for your response.... I guess I felt guilty because those items are a no no on keto.... I just get nervous because I gain SO easily... if I just smell a slice of pizza I gain 4 pounds.... lol! I’m going from being a carb junkie to restricting my diet to 50 grams of carbs a day. Over two days my carb intake was near 200 grams..... I am an emotional eater to boot so when I fail at eating right I want to eat... lol I appreciate your advice!!!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Thank you so much!!!!! I will do that.... I have not been doing too well on the exercising so I’m trying to be super strict on my diet..... I get down if I slip up.... at least if I’m exercising I’m burning calories but since I’m not because of my multiple jobs and being a single mom, the little time I do have goes to my daughter and then I’m exhausted! I have to find a way... I’ve seen others do it that have more on their plate than I do (no pun).... that’s why I started several discussions... I need help and support

Losing weight is a learning curve. Sometimes you have to try different things to see what suits your lifestyle best. That's not a failure. Keto gets a lot of attention right now. It may or may not be the best approach for you--only you can decide. What is important is losing the weight and keeping it off. That means you have to educate yourself on what will work for you for the rest of your life. When you find your "sweet spot" the weight starts to come off. Exercise is important for wellbeing. Maybe just ease into it a little more. You can walk for exercise at first.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound like too much of a "binge" at all. especially the almond milks ;) or did you cut out all foods you actually enjoy leading to the binge? sometimes keeping "bad foods" (there are no bad foods) in our diet in moderation makes our eating plans more enjoyable and helps avoid binges.

Sounds like keto isn't the right eating plan for you?

Eating 200g of carbs won't make you gain weight if you're not eating in a surplus.

Maybe try sticking to your deficit while eating foods you like instead?
  • Lastchancetochange
    Lastchancetochange Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Well same here, yesterday my first binge since I started. 2 ham and cheese sandwiches for breakfast and a massive long lunch with friends with fries, steak, eggplant lasagna, wine, beer, scotch, tiramisu. So anyhow good thread, because I actually feel now like crap. On the positive side my kids had a great time with their friends and I did at the moment also.

Going to hit the gym now that I haven't been there for weeks.
  • sally6727
    sally6727 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’ve always been a binge eater and thought dieting was the only way to control it. I’ve done really well in the last 6 months but weekly binges have started to creep back in. I haven’t gained but my losses are few and far between, I’m a big carb lover but try to include it in my daily menu. Crisps are a big downfall, I try to have just one pack at the weekend but last night I ended up eating 3 packs as well as 2 rounds of sandwiches and half a packet of biscuits!! After my tea!! Arghhhh why do I sabotage myself!
  • pecabonitas
    Options
    Well same here, yesterday my first binge since I started. 2 ham and cheese sandwiches for breakfast and a massive long lunch with friends with fries, steak, eggplant lasagna, wine, beer, scotch, tiramisu. So anyhow good thread, because I actually feel now like crap. On the positive side my kids had a great time with their friends and I did at the moment also.

Going to hit the gym now that I haven't been there for weeks.

Don’t be discouraged friend. We may fall down but we get back up again. Yesterday is gone, so just make today great! The reason for my yoyoing in the past is because when I would fall off the wagon (lol) I’d say oh well I messed up, I’ll quit. It’s a vicious cycle. Now when I fall off, I dust myself off, give myself a hug, and get back at it. Failure is impossible if we do not quit!

• pecabonitas
    Options
    sally6727 wrote: »
    I’ve always been a binge eater and thought dieting was the only way to control it. I’ve done really well in the last 6 months but weekly binges have started to creep back in. I haven’t gained but my losses are few and far between, I’m a big carb lover but try to include it in my daily menu. Crisps are a big downfall, I try to have just one pack at the weekend but last night I ended up eating 3 packs as well as 2 rounds of sandwiches and half a packet of biscuits!! After my tea!! Arghhhh why do I sabotage myself!

((((((Hugs)))))))) I feel your pain! I’m the same way. Just get back up again my dear. Just as we train our bodies to crave bad foods, we have to train our bodies to crave healthy foods. Look for healthier snacks (wfpb) to stock up at home. You might have to make them too. Then when you have the munchies, grab something healthy and go to town! A few of mine are mini sweet peppers stuffed with cream cheese, ham and pickle rolls, apple slices with almond butter, and chorizo sliders made with cloud bread.

• chirstym
    chirstym Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I fell off 2 days in a row because of stress and poor planning. Went out for dinner 2 nights ago which was fine and planned for, but then got home after hearing some bad news from friends and ate a bunch of chocolate and sweets with a gin+lemonade. Then yesterday I had an essay due midnight and had eaten all my calories apart from some vegetable crisps before 4.30pm. Went home to focus on the essay and when I knew I was going to be up to the deadline writing I ordered a small papa john's pizza (1300 calories ugh).

I'm clearly still struggling not to turn to food for emotional support, and since I hadn't managed to go shopping at the weekend there was no healthy food in the house which made things worse. You're right, we need to forgive ourselves and learn from the experience so we can do better next time! ❤️
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options

Keep in mind that carbohydrates tend to have us retain water. You're not actually gaining weight unless you're in a calorie surplus, even if all you ate was pizza. If you see the scale tip up a few pounds after a carb-heavy day, it's more than likely water weight, and will come off easily over the course of the week if you were to reduce carbs again. It takes 3,500 calories over maintenance to gain just one pound of fat, and based on your description of what you ate, you're probably not even close. That's like, ten slices of pizza OVER maintenance. If you didn't reduce carbs, the water weight tends to stay, but you wouldn't notice it because you'll continue to lose fat anyway.